Newbe with questions

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

jmlance

Newbe with questions

Post by jmlance »

I just received a 6 year old very sweet IRN.

Is 64 degrees in my house to cold?

What is that little chuckle sound she make for?

How do I wash her? She is a bit smelly lol

And what kind of toys does she like? She seems to be in a nibbling mood but does not like the toys and perches that came with. I did give her a chunk of card board.

And she has now just made her second little sneeze type of sound, is this normal?

About me:

I have never had a bird but thought about it brfore. I visited a bird shop in my town and met Sky and her and I bonded quickly. Well I bought her and the exact cage set up she was in. I did lots or internet research but Still loaded with questions based on lots of observation. I WOULD REALLY LOVE SOME HELP ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS.

Thanks You Very Much

:)
julie

Re: Newbe with questions

Post by julie »

The chuckle sound that you heard may be your girl copying someones laugh, they are pretty good at immitating sounds.
To get her to bathe herself try putting some fresh water in and turning the vaccuum cleaner on, for some strange reason it makes them want to take a bath.
keep in mind some birds dont like toys, so your girl may not want them. For my boy indie who isnt fazed by toys he has things like carribeena clips (like mountain climbing clips), they are hooked from the top of the cage and then hooked together so he can swing of them. Watch out giving her things that break off like cardboard because if she actually eats it she may get an impacted crop.

Im not sure about the sneezes, my boys do it but normally after having a bath. You may notice her rubbing her beak on the perch/cage ect , this is normal and its like they are cleaning the food off or something.

They love fresh fruit and veggies. DONT give her avacado or chocolate amoung some other things that you will find in the poisons list that is pinned in the forum.

If you need anything please ask, sometimes we may be a little slow replying as we have our birds and homes to keep up with , but we eventually get there.
Jasmineandme

Post by Jasmineandme »

jmlance wrote:I just received a 6 year old very sweet IRN.

What is that little chuckle sound she make for? She is probably imitating someones laugh, as mentioned they are very good talkers

How do I wash her? You can take her in the shower with you, or place a tray with lukewarm water, and things to encourage her to take a bath, like lettuce and toys, or you can spray her with a spray bottle

And what kind of toys does she like? She seems to be in a nibbling mood but does not like the toys and perches that came with. I did give her a chunk of card board.
All parrots are different, it is you're job to figure out what she likes, and what she doesnt :) After awhile of knowing her, you should be able to find toys that she will like.

And she has now just made her second little sneeze type of sound, is this normal?
If she sneezes after preening, that is usually them just cleaning their nostils from anything, such as dust or of the sort.
Answer's are in bold.
Anyways congrats on the getting her :) im sure you will enjoy her.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Looks like you are in good hands with Julie and Jasmineandme .. Welcome to the forum jmlance and grats on the new fid :-)
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless