Avian Flu...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Avian Flu...

Post by Mikaela »

I was curious, are any of you getting alot of media coverage in regards to the Asian avian flu?

It effects all types of birds and can be transmitted to humans but stops there, meaning it cannot be transmitted from person to person YET but they say the virus is trying to morph to do so. Just wondering, we are getting massive amounts of media coverage in regards to this topic here is America (Florida).
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yes Mikaela,

see it every week on the news. They insist they have contained the last two outbreaks and irradicated it from Australia. But just a few days ago they apparently had other cases of it (a new outbreak) mainly amongst poultry. The Herald Sun - is now running this article. Scarey !!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common ... 31,00.html

:shock:
Jade

Post by Jade »

My hubby is freaking out about it because of his precious chickens :roll: He keeps telling me to stop kissing Chook, Chuckles and Sunny because i'll die (his words, not mine).

I want to know, how do your birds and chickens (which are also birds :oops: ) catch the virus if they have no contact with other feathered friends? If they are isolated won't they be safe?
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Have I said lately how much I love living in New Zealand?????

No bird flu here...... yet ......

Also no mad cow disease or snakes (no real relevance to each other or the topic but thought Id let you know)

NZ hasnt let any birds be brought into the country for years just to prevent any diseases. It really is scary though!
-Chamon-

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

We Americans DO NOT accept food, for the most part, from other countries so we here are relatively safe but I worry so about the other board members.

Should I have even brough this up? :|
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

I thought I saw on the news the other day that this can be transmitted to humans and can cause death. They were saying it could be a "pandemic". And said something about it happened in 1918 and killed many, many people. They said everyone got it and it affected many and many died. It didn't affect everyone but everyone got it? I could be wrong. And I hope I am. But I really think this is what I heard on CNN or Fox News Live. Not sure which. But it does scare me to even think about.
selma

Post by selma »

Just heard they found cases in turkey and romania. Apparently it's the strain (?) that scientists have been fearing. It's quite scary because it can affect any country because birds migrate and not even governments can stop that right? Jordan has stopped any import of chicken to the country.
Hubby has said no more chicken for us...don't know how much that will help but i guess we do what we can and the rest we just have to pray to God Almighty and try our best to just carry on.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Datsun and Family wrote:
NZ hasnt let any birds be brought into the country for years just to prevent any diseases. It really is scary though!

Does that include pets? I ask because normally pets can be brought but be tested for some things and/or quaratined. And New Zealand is one of the possibilities on my 'move to' list.

If (or when) we get the avian flu in the US I can bet it'll come from Cali or over the Mexico border. The last avain disease breakout in California came from fighting cocks shipped in illegally. Luckily it was contained but a lot of birds died- mostly poultry.

I share the name news channels as Mikaela, lol, so yeah I see a lot of news about avian flu.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9674377/

Doesnt look like any of us are safe. I know I certainly wouldnt be purchasing a pet bird from over seas, at the moment. Or dining in Romania hehe.
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Great! This is all I need when I already have a psycho ex wife (mother of my beautiful step daughter) unfortunately in my life who has a fit becuz we have birds. Her words not mine, "They are dirty creatures who carry disease and I don't like my daughter being around them." Now she'll just run with this. Who knows, according to her it's probably my fault! And came from my two little birds. :?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Tell her to get educated... until then you will not even entertain the notion.

Ask her stats, places affected, she wont know then BAM in her face.
Babymomma drama!

Then top it off with telling her she was a disqusting creature which is why you dont have her any longer hehe.

By the way, thought you were a girl :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Jade

Post by Jade »

I just heard on our news that our wonderful Prime Minister, John Howard, has only got 4 million vaccines for this flu (I don't know why he can't get our scientists to whip up a few more batches :? ). Apparently though, these are all consigned to government and council workers and not the average citizen unless you have a job which is considered a necessity to Australia.

Fantastic. Now to get a job with the government.....

I think I'll just become a hermit out here. Me and the birds, cows, sheep, chickens, dogs.....oh, and hubby and son!!
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Melika: Thats right, no pet birds have been allowed in for years, of course you can take them over to Oz but can never bring them back :cry:

I realised after I got Dats that at 21 I cant leave until either all my birds die or if I never intend to come back.... think Il just stay, I have never been further than a 20 min flight away from Auckland and there is no reason to change that now :wink:
-Chamon-

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Mikaela,
To clarify--I AM female. I married a man who has an ex wife and a daughter from his first marriage. Therefore I have an ex wife in my life. And she is a royal pain in the you know what. And stupid as the day is long. I about died when she spouted off about us having birds and how dirty they were and how they carry disease. Whatever!
selma

Post by selma »

LOL Mikaela i made the same mistake as you when i read "ex wife"
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Text argh, sure can be taken very easily OUT OF con'text'.

Here is more updated info in regards to the 'pandeminic'.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9674377/
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

It's actually funny! I just knew when I sent it I probably should've reworded that. But I was frustrated thinking of the stupid crap that spouts from that woman's mouth that I didn't change anything. So... A little confusion caused by me. Tee hee.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

No biggie, current Ex-wife hater here too. They push you PAST the breaking point and then some. Every call is a sorry excuse and a thorn in my side. The only time she reaches us is when she is trying to dial a bar and misdials.... :roll:
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Dontcha' just love em?? My husband's ex is something else. Hates animals with a passion. So that tells you something right there. And she's getting Sara to not like them either. Sara is terrified of the birds and they've NEVER done anything to her. She's terrified of my little Milo and he is the sweetest bird! He wouldn't hurt anything. She's just now to the point she can walk past his cage without leaning as far away from the cage as she can. I'm sure it has something to do with the bile that spouts from her idiot mother's mouth. But without the idiot there would be no Sara and I love her to pieces. So.... But just once I would love to.... I'll shut up before I get myself in to trouble. Altho' she has threatened to "kill me" before. So... Hey, can't help you lost your husband to me and your daughter thinks I'm way cooler than you too! Tee hee. Sometimes life can be so just! I'm sure you know the feeling Mikaela!
Melika

Post by Melika »

There are a few things a bird owner can do to keep disease out of the home.

When you come home from working with birds, a pet shop, or a bird show/club meeting change your clothing (or shower) and always wash your hands in between birds (if you have multiples).

Minimize (best to avoid) your and your birds contact with wild birds and thier droppings.

And finally always properly quarantine new birds. If disease seems to be in your area, ask a friend to keep the bird at his/her home for two months or one month with cleared vet check.

I'm still stumped about why horses in our area aren't required to get the west nile vaccine. They have one for horses. And if there are no horses to carry it, the chances of it spreading are minimal. Seems like a big duh to me. :?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Jen.... you and I need to A: kick their azzes in the mud one good time and get it out of our system or B: get counseling because THEY are never going to change.

Look at me, I raise three babies for this women because she is a sack of crap. She sees them a few times a month which is nothing more than a household interruption because the kids dont even want to go.

She is a drunken bar slut. I have no respect for her whatsoever. Furthermore, unlike her, I would DIE before I propped up on a bar stool while some other woman my EXhusband married took care of my feverish child. God has made her pay, she just came down with Diabetes. Not only does she have to take 4-6 shots a day it is awfully hard to throw a good drunk and be diabetic.

IF YOU HAVE DIABETES DO NOT BE OFFENDED. I am not saying people who have it deserve it, thats obsurd, I am simply making the point that God controls us one way or the other. Seems for her, that was his way. Sad thing is, she hasnt changed a bit so she probably wont be with us much longer. Cant drink and be diabetic... not for long anyway. :(

I dont want her to die, I just want her to stop messing with these kids heads before she makes me end up locked up.
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Bless your heart Mikaela! For raising her children, for giving them a chance for a "normal" life, for cleaning up their broken hearts, for EVERY LITTLE THING you do for those children! I wish when people divorced and they have children they could be mature enough to realize it's not about THEM it's about the children! Those kids didn't ask to be born and they sure didn't get to choose their parents! I want Sara to come live with us so bad, but she tells me she's going to just as soon as she turns 18. I asked why and she told me that's when mommy says she can. Oh no! So I explained to her the real truth. But I think at this point Sara would be too afraid to even mention it to her mom. So we'll just hang in there and hopefully some day soon she'll want to come live with us. That would so great. I can only wait. And be there for my Sara whenever she needs me. But I do have to admit when we go to her school open houses or functions and she's saying, "Jen come look at this" or "Jen come look at this." and NOT "Mom" I JUST LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Props to you Mikaela!
Jade

Post by Jade »

I am a Family Law paralegal and all day every day I hear these stories. You know what??? I don't think there is ever a solution to make everyone happy. No matter how bad parents are to their kids, the kids still need to know them and have a bond because they are their parents. It doesn't mean they like them, they are just always and forever curious. Its a kid thing. Like a dog, you can abuse it and neglect it, but it will always still try and lick your feet and show you love (somewhat timidly).

I know in my own situation, my mother is downright nasty to me and tells my son that he should never have been born and that he is an abomination because I married a loser (ie. not rich or from a good family). I would love to punch her in the nose but I don't because I teach Lonnie that its not the way to resolve issues. I hold my head high and smile and say goodbye and leave. Stupidly though, no matter how much they have hurt me in my life, physically and emotionally, I still want to have their approval and love.

Bad parents should be made to go to rehab to learn to be good parents or to be treated the way they treat their kids to learn what its like.