A nice start to the new year

Moderator: Mods

pinkdevil

A nice start to the new year

Post by pinkdevil »

Yesterday while outside doing the rounds of my aviary birds, I noticed there was no sign of my breeding pair of Rainbow Lorikeets. I started to look around in a panic, seeing if the hole digging dog had done more of her handy work, when the lories came out of the nestbox.

Relieved that all birds accounted for, I took a peek inside the nest and saw 2 lori eggs! That little surprise came as a total shock to me as I had not seen the lories displaying any behaviour or interest in the nest, nor had I noticed them 'missing' until yesterday.

Normally when I am outside the conures make such a fuss that the lories are there to greet me as I walk by. So it is a bit hard to catch them in the box. I usually see the male wooing his girl but not this time.
I think they used the cover of the drizzley weather we had of late, to do the 'mango tango'. ;)

I thought she may have had a break as she had 3 clutches in fairly quick succession last year. I have her 2 chicks from the last clutch inside ready for sale now.

I left these 2 in the nest until they were fully feathered, then removed them for the last 2 weeks of hand rearing and taming, thinking that the hen would have a break. I did handle the chicks while in the nest so they didn't take much to quieten down at all. :)

Looks like more little flitter flutter sounds of little wings again soon. :)
xx_sheena_xx

Re: A nice start to the new year

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Thats great new pink, congratulations on your eggs
bec

Re: A nice start to the new year

Post by bec »

yay more bubby pics coming!!!!!!!!!