Remembering Tony Bird

A place for us to talk about the loss of a pet, even if not a ringneck. A place to grief and receive information and support from our family. Memorialize your pet by posting a picture and sharing information about your baby.

Moderator: Mods

vortmax

Remembering Tony Bird

Post by vortmax »

I haven't been on this board in a long time, and I hate to come back with this sort of news, but over the weekend, I lost Tony. He was only 5 years old.

I was in the kitchen looking for something to eat when for some reason I decided to pop my head into the next room (the bird room) to say hi to Tony...only to see him on the bottom of his cage. I called my wife down stairs and gently pulled him out. He was still breathing, but barely. As I held him, my wife tried tracking down an emergency vet. After what felt like an eternity, she got in contact with the only emergency avian vet in the area....2 hours away. We described the symptoms and the vet said it sounded like a fungal infection, and that he probably wouldn't make the 2 hour drive. We made it 30 minutes down the road before he passed on. Right before he went, he regained enough consciousness to turn his head and look me in the eye. I just have to hope that he was saying thank you for all of the good years.

I keep telling myself that I should have caught it. In hind sight, he hadn't been the same bird for a month or two. Whether I was just too busy with everything else to notice, or I wrote off the little things as stress from the move, or stress from a hard molt, or one of a million other things....I don't know. What I do know is that he was an amazing bird. His life may have been short, but he will be with me forever.
bec

Re: Remembering Tony Bird

Post by bec »

im so sorry for your loss