Help with my new baby ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Saddlebredgirl

Help with my new baby ringneck

Post by Saddlebredgirl »

Hi everybody.I have a new 4week old indian ringneck.I bought him last thursday at a breeder.I feed him formula 3 times a day with a syringe.I just want to know when should i start introducing solid food? How should i start weaning it? What food can i give the baby when i introduce solid food for the first time?Thanks
Melika

Re: Help with my new baby ringneck

Post by Melika »

Welcome!

This may have been posted a while ago, but the info is still valid: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=799

Hope that helps. :D
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
muz

Post by muz »

I have the same question as the original poster - what to do at weaning time.

The link Melika posted doesn't really provide the answer as it refers mainly to the syringe/spoon feeding stage. I'm finally confident about the spoon feeding stage, (I find the bent spoon less messy than a syringe) it's the next stage, weaning, I'm not sure of.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I find my bubs begin weaning themselves by cuttting down on formula intake. When they do this I offer fruit and veg mushed up slightly as well as sprouted seeds, pellets and millet spray for them to try.
I also add a bit of pureed fruit to their formula as they are getting older to get them used to different flavours. Not too much is added as I still don't want to take away too much of the formula intake.
I think, from memory, around 5 weeks or so of age I begin introducing other foods. Each bird is different and I let them "tell" me when they are interested in trying new foods.

:)
bec

Post by bec »

mine are nearly five weeks & im offering egg & buiscutt mix they love it but just seem to sort of mouth the sprouts so far
when skeet was ready for food she started "tasting" things alot these guys havent started that yet
julie

Post by julie »

I dont remember an exact age that mine weaned, I just noticed they were picking up things and put some corn kernels and soft fruits and veg in and eventually they got the hang of it.