Cheap toys for ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

ian1

Cheap toys for ringnecks

Post by ian1 »

I don't have access to proper pet stores or mail order so I have to make do with alternates, heres a few I found really good:

Duplo or Lego (or equivalents): Build the bird a little castle and he will spend hours dismantling, then chewing the blocks into shards. Little packs of the toddler stuff costs about $1 and my IRN is obsessed.

All human teething toys: They adore dummies at about 10c each

Ball toys: I didn't expect it but they play ball solo and against each other. I got a set of 10 for $2.

I had a $30 purpose made parrot swing imported and it was matchsticks in a day :)

Apologies for phots, my ringy just won't pose. I was 'approached' today for the first time in 9mths after following some advice from this forum ;)

courtney

Post by courtney »

That is cute. You can also go to the dollar store and make some toys. It's fun and there are so many craft ideas there. I buy tons of toys from the pet store but there SO expensive; it's nice to go to the dollar store and change things up a bit. I have six chinchillas so I have excess to hay so what I do is put some hay in a towel paper roll and stuff it with hay and my birds go wild over it. It’s very messy but they have a blast.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

jeannier

Post by jeannier »

I too like to make my own. I purchased wiffle balls and stuff shredded brown paper bags in them. They love to dig it out and make lots of messes! I got the balls at the dollar store and the last time I was there they had brown shredded paper, so that made it even easier for me. I also go to alot of garge sales and pick up babie toys. My birds love them more than the expensive bird toys from the pet store. I wish we had a spot on this website just for home made ideas.
Jeannie
LuvMyBird

Re: Cheap toys for ringnecks

Post by LuvMyBird »

WOW thanks so much for all the great ideas! I bought this wrap of ribbon from pet store you hang in the cage and she is supposed to tear at it... well it cost 10 bucks and she is terrified of it!!!! :twisted: so.... I love the idea of the balls stuffed with paper because I had put some shredded newspaper (big pieces) and Baby, my Lutino Ringneck was banging and tearing the paper it was priceless!
BigChicken

Re: Cheap toys for ringnecks

Post by BigChicken »

Try a small wicker basket hung from the top of the cage, fill it with a bunch of small chew toys of whatever, all of our parrots love to toss things and just watch them fall, you know, that sideways head look! Just be sure the basket does not have a painted finish, safe for chewing. Our IRN's favorite tossing toy are small lengths of plastic chain. She doesn't chew them, just tosses them and chases after!