Help With Breeding

Moderator: Mods

grunto

Help With Breeding

Post by grunto »

I am hoping someone can help. I have 3 IRN pairs.

The first pair mate each year and typically produce 3 - 4 eggs in a clutch. Normally 2 - 4 hatch but the hen doesn't feed them and they die. They then breed again (in the same season), produce another clutch and same result. Three years ago I grabbed one baby (the others were dead) and managed to hand rear it. This hand reared IRN turned out to be a hen. This pair have 3 eggs in their first clutch this year, although 2 appear to be infertile. Expect a hatching in a week or so.

The second pair includes the hand reared hen. She just bosses the male around. Last season she laid 3 eggs (her first season) but they were all infertile. This season she is just plan nasty, although has now entered the nest box. Basically she just tries to attack me (and also the cock bird) if we go anywhere near her. No eggs yet.

The third pair is a new pair this year. Laid 3 eggs this season and they hatched Mon and Tue this week. Today they are all dead - looks like they have been attacked (although I am unsure whether the attack was what killed them or whether it was post mortem). It would seem that the cock was responsible (at least he looks guilty).

Unfortunately, work means that I am unable to hand rear at this time of year (I have to go overseas for a few weeks at this time each year) so I am really keen on getting the hens to do their job. I am seeking advice as to how to improve the situation as I hate to see so many babies die. I have 4 other IRNs but they are all less than 2 years old so I am unsure whether they are M or F but should be able to tell after this years moult - I want to do whatever I can to make them more successful.