Breeding same colors..

Moderator: Mods

ringy76

Breeding same colors..

Post by ringy76 »

hello everybody, is there a problem if i breed IRN of the same colors?, i ask because i heard that in other species if you cross or breed same colors (mutated colors) could weaken the future birds... does anyone know if this happens with IRN? thanks
Felix

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40999669@N05/3776263418/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40999669@N ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40999669@N ... otostream/

Some pics of Paco, my gree Ringneck :)[/img]
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi ringy 76;
It depends: for a newly stablished mutation it is better to pair the mutant with a wild animal (if it is a dominant mutation) or to split birds (if recessive mutations). If you are speaking of mutations known from a long date, these animals have been mixed with others and the risk of getting "recessive bad genes" (splayed legs, little size, weak chicks ...) is lower. Anyway old stablished mutations were "new" mutations long ago (as lutinos) and you can still find on the web some advises as "never pair lutinos car you can get low size animals". If you are sure that your animals are far away each other, from a genetical point of view (as coming from different countries) you can do it. If both are coming from the same breeder, probably they are closely related and it would be better to avoid pairing.
Usually new mutations are obtained through inbreeding (as for pieds IRN) and these mutations are produced together with other anomalies and usually low size. It is the work of breeders to separate the new mutation from the unwanted "anomalies" and to cross the bird to the wild type allows to get good size and to mask the recessive bad genes quite quickly. When you are pairing the same mutation, you are just doing the oposite, and it is not advisible for the newly stablished mutations.
Which is your IRN mutation?
ringy76

Post by ringy76 »

hello Recio, thanks for the information. At the moment i´ve got a normal green IRN, his name is Paco and he is 2 years old, i was thinking to get a green girl for him and to buy a pair of lutinos, but i am not sure how to pair them, green x inos or same colors... probably is better if i mix the colors ´cos there are few breeders and few mutations of ringnecks where i live and as you say they might be related. I´ll ask the breeder how related they are just in case... :)
cheers
Felix
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hola Felix,

You can pair your male Paco to a lutino female and you will get green males split lutino and green females. If you buy a lutino male to be paired to a green female you will get lutino females and green males split lutino.

Actually many green birds are split to other colours since they are the "colateral results" of colour breeding, and even with green birds you can get unexpected outcomes. Ask the breeder about the parents of Paco and of the other IRN you are considering to buy.

Buena suerte
ringy76

Post by ringy76 »

hi Recio, Paco´s parents were both green and all his brothers were green too so i think he is a pure green, but you never know he might be carried some other color inside as you say. Anyway i´ll start getting a lutino female and hopefuly in a couple of years i´ll see what i get...
gracias por tu ayuda :)