Skittles likes cereal!!! (also, everyone thinks I'm crazy)

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

skittles

Skittles likes cereal!!! (also, everyone thinks I'm crazy)

Post by skittles »

So, yesterday was a little crazy as the night before my son had a sleepover and never went to bed, so I tried to sleep in. Skittles would have no part in that! She is so used to eating with me at 8am that she started crying to get out of her cage. At our house, we call her the baby, so my husband says to me, you got to go feed the baby. So, I get up, get Skittles and I am eating fruit, yogurt, and honey bunches of oats with almonds. Which she LOVES!

So, she is chirping at me wanting more almonds, and I told her there were no more almonds in the bowl. So smart pants walks up my shoulder, down my shirt, and on to the bowl and starts looking for herself! I don't know that milk is good for her, but she had fun looking for the almonds and eating the bunches of oats that are in it! SO from now on, looks like I have to have extra cereal on hand for her to keep her out of mine!

However, now at work, everyone thinks I'm crazy because I tell them the baby woke me up wanting fed. They look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that skittles is my baby! oh well, I guess I just filled the 'crazy lady' posting for work...
Skittles and her mommy
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

people think Im nutzo at work too, it comes with the territory~ They ask me if I have kids and I say no, but I have a parrot and they dont get it. Its just like raising a child!
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
skittles

just call me mommy!

Post by skittles »

She is my only bird, but I also have a boxer, they are my babies! ( i also have 2 kids, which are my real babies, but at 13 and 10, they don't need me as much any more!)
Skittles and her mommy
zoerat

cute.

Post by zoerat »

i think my boyfriend thinks im mad when i get up earlly from his house to go home now he says yeah yeah mango needs his fruit hehe.
and i tell ya if i dont get it for him first thing he starts getting noisy Which isnt very coz hes such a quite baby,and pasing his cage, funny we fella, but yes they love rotine thats 1 thing ive learnt
skittles

Post by skittles »

Skittles is starting to get even more demanding! When no one is the room, she hollers for us, as soon as we go back in the room, she quiets right down!
Skittles and her mommy
bec

Post by bec »

try not to give in to that
its is a natural thing for them to call out when they cant see you
as irns are flock birds if they cant find you they will contact call
i just call out im here! or whistle then i go in when thay are quiet
i have heard that if think that calling will get you to come running they will play on it
skittles

Post by skittles »

I am beginning to think she is training me instead of me training her! Most of the time, I try to ignore her, but some times, I feel so bad, I go get her and let her hang out with me, especially when I am working in my office, where she has a second cage.
Skittles and her mommy
laine

Post by laine »

That is a funny story and one I can relate to on many parts.
Firstly Smokey loves cereal, especially porridge and cornflakes.
He prefers to eat from the bowl himself especially when I have porridge as I get the Uncle Toby's flavoured porridge and he loves picking out the fruit bits before eating the oats.
I am known as the bird lady at work LOL. I often tell them funny stories about Smokey. When I have been asked by a new staff member "do you have kids" I say "Yes I have 2 boys, one is 18yrs old and human, and one is 3 1/2 year old parrot - my baby" The reactions vary but always funny.
Smokey doesn't squawk if I am not in the room, he doesn't give me chance to get very far before he flies after me - I am sure if he was a kid he would call out "mummy, mummy where are you going, don't leave me, I am coming with you" even if its just to the toilet - He is my shadow :lol:
skittles

Post by skittles »

that is funny! Yesterday we went to a local farmer's market to buy fruit and veg, and my husband and I were wondering about whether she would like a type of plum we saw there. (We refer to her as the baby) The lady asked us how old our baby was, as she didn't think children would like that type of plum. You should have seen her when we told her we were shopping for a bird!
Skittles and her mommy
Elivia

Re: Skittles likes cereal!!! (also, everyone thinks I'm crazy)

Post by Elivia »

That is so funny! I can very much relate also! Me and my partner call our ringneck 'bluey' the baby! My partner is 27 and i am 25, we both have no kids so we get very funny looks when we talking about Bluey, like when i ask him if he has fed the 'baby' yet, or can he watch the 'baby' if i am going out of the room or the house.lol. We also have a 5 year old staffy (Phillip), a 7 month old staffy (juniur), 2 ginger cats (sammy and knackers) and a tank full of fish. We have a very full household of pets and love it. We did have a rainbow lorikeet (who's name was pickles but he actually escaped his outside avairy about a month ago :cry: ) My partners parents are very insistent on us having a real baby but i keep telling them i have my real 'baby' Bluey! :) :D :P