handfeeding and weaning?

Moderator: Mods

Sylvia

handfeeding and weaning?

Post by Sylvia »

I am handfeeding three chicks now. They are 28 days old, and I am following the "handfeeding agenda" that Melika wrote.

But I wonder at what age do you use to intruduce "real" food? What to start with?

Last time I handfeed any bird was two years ago, and I really doesent remember what I did then.
Please have some patience with my spelling, I´m from sweden and english is not my first language!
julie

Post by julie »

when they start getting curious enough to start picking things up with their beaks is a good indicator. Some start picking at the bedding or droppings ect. And pretty muchly if there is things like corn kernels and fresh peas that they can have a play with they eventually work it out that its edible. When mine were young, I put some newspaper on the ground and got a puppy pen, I let them play for a couple of hours a day in it and put some food in, it didn't take very long for them to start chucking the food around and eat some. The puppy pen was good for them to learn to climb and start flying too, and so funny to watch them play.
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

julie wrote:when they start getting curious enough to start picking things up with their beaks is a good indicator. Some start picking at the bedding or droppings ect. And pretty muchly if there is things like corn kernels and fresh peas that they can have a play with they eventually work it out that its edible. When mine were young, I put some newspaper on the ground and got a puppy pen, I let them play for a couple of hours a day in it and put some food in, it didn't take very long for them to start chucking the food around and eat some. The puppy pen was good for them to learn to climb and start flying too, and so funny to watch them play.
Okey, I putt some appel in the nestbox and they are tasting little of it allready, they are round 32 days now.
Also I do have a bit of a millet spray in the box, but I dont´t think they have tasted it yet.
Please have some patience with my spelling, I´m from sweden and english is not my first language!