Moderator: Mods

asulli

Post by asulli »

Well, I just fell in love with her (Alexandrine Ring Neck) and had to bring her home! So what if she is going to be loud I am latin so we have something in common! We named her Shakti. Shakti was born the end of February and looks very healthy. I did notice that her previous owner was a bit scared of her. So I took the plunge put my hand in and yep, she bit me twice and it drew a bit of blood, but it did not deter me! So after a 4 hour drive we were home. It was late so I fed her, gave her water and talk to her for a bit and then nite nite! Anyway, early this morning I made her some home made grub which she appreciated. I played with her in her cage for a bit and then showed her to step up. She did try to nip me, but I had a toy in my other hand so she was so busy hanging on to that she forgot she needed to bite me! Well, I think she knows that biting is not going to make me go away. I think I am more stubborn than Shakti.

We played peek a boo and then she flew off (have to take to the vet to get those wings clipped for now). She landed on the curtain rod and with a wooden spoon I was able to reach her and bring her down. I think she was so grateful that I rescued her that she stepped up to me and did not try to bite! She even let me give her neck scratches and kept letting me play step up! Well, I guess we are on the way to a better relationship. She also step up to my husband. I think she was in shock!

Hopefully today when I get home she will not forget!

Any tips or suggestions? thank you.
julie

Post by julie »

hello and welcome to the board. it sounds like you have things under control 8) Alexandrian s love to chew things, my boy Mika has metal food and water bowls because he tried to eat his plastic ones, he also has very hard plastic type toys, all the other toys that were not hard plastic lasted a couple of hours with him. I hand raised Mika from a 3 week old and for some weird reason he doesn't know how to bite people hard, the other day he got pretty cranky and put his whole beak over my finger and thankfully he didn't bite down. They look very intimidating and the hissing doesnt help, but just keep going with it. Watch the eyes, they are a good indicator that the bird is not happy and going to bite, if they start pinning (you will know when you see it) watch your fingers. They learn to talk pretty well, yesterday Mika actually talked when I was in the room for the first time, he normally doesn't speak in front of people. I will see if I can get some videos of him and post them .
asulli

Post by asulli »

Thank you so much for the welcome. I am very excited about my Shakti. This morning she had her first bath (in the shower) and she loved it. After that she had some of Mommy's grub! Boiled eggs with shell, high protein baby cereal and some ravioli (baby food) with green beans, and pearl barley,of course all organic. I sprinkle some wheat bran and a bit of spirulina which I take myself but in pill form. Spirulina is said to be very good for any time of animal. I also had her bit of banana and birdie bread made from Harrison's stuff.

She did eat from my hands and seems to prefer it that way which is fine with me. I left her her lunch which consist of green peas, lentils, wild rice.

My husband said she is eating better than he is! Thank goodness that he stays home so that he can remove all the food.

Seems after that first 2 bites that drew blood (previous owner who actually weaned her was scared of her bite) she decided that living with us is like winning the lottery because now she is just putting her beak around my finger but not biting, letting me pet her and she even let me clean her beak while playing peek a boo!

I got her on Sunday so I think she is doing so very good. I hope that this evening when I get home she is as excited to see me as I her!

Sorry long winded I am just so excited!