breeding in the uk

Moderator: Mods

yazzie

breeding in the uk

Post by yazzie »

HI everyone i am new to the world of ringnecks. I do have some conures, quakers, budgies, and parotlets. My son has persuaded me to get some ringnecks this weekend they will be joining us. I am making them flight of 6feet high by 6feet long by 3feet wide will this size be ok? The lady who i am having them off said that they will be nearly ready to put in a nest box. Should i put it in straight away or leave it for them to settle in first? I have read information on irn but i am not sure the breeding season in the uk, does anyone have any idea. I am looking forward to them coming home, i never thought about having them before as pepole say they are destructive, but they cant be as bad as my blue crown conures lol. Will they use a nest box to sleep in or will i need to take it away many thanks for reading this regards karen
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That size aviary should be fine for your new ringies....congrats by the way :)

Different breeders say different things about nestboxes.
I personally leave my boxes in the aviary all year round. I found that sometimes they like to sleep or hang out in the box during the off season.

Depending on the age of your new birds and how far they are travelling from as to whether they will breed for you this season.
I bought a few ringies early 2007 and they didn't breed for me that season but bred for me last season. :)
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

I think breeding season in the UK runs from like December/January all the way to June maybe. My guy started going mental in December but i think he was hitting the hormones a bit early
alanm0001

Post by alanm0001 »

i have 18 ringnecks and most of them are in the box
with eggs and we have 1 chick 5 weeks old
the other 2 only lived 2 weeks found them dead
just hoping the rest hatch :lol:
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

just finished the aviary waiting for them to come home they should be here in half an hour. We have been so exited have not slept for a week since we knew we were having them x
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

Hi everyone i am new to ringnecks so please be patient, Our new birds have been here 48 hours and i did put a nest box in the hen seems to be glued in the same spot on the perch, but the cock is showing a lot of intrest in the nest box. Is this a thing that sometimes happens? I am just a bit worried if he may bully her to the box, he is not doing so when i am in the pen, and she is settled when i go to feed them. Should i leave the nest box?
Jay

Post by Jay »

Ideally, pairs are set-up in late winter and will breed until end of spring. It's still breeding season where you are so perhaps they'll come around and still breed for you.

Don't worry about the male. Females run the breeding, so they'll be ready if and when she is ready.
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

Hi thanks for your help. I work nights so my son has been helping with the feeding and cleaning, this morning was the first time i opened them this week and the hen is in the nest box. Should i go in and check or should i leave her to it? I am feeding them a good quality parrot mix with fruit and veg I have been putting a soft food in and they do not seem to be interested in it is there any thing i can try.
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

Hi the hen was out of the box earlier so i took a peep it looks very comfortable but no eggs. They have only been here in their new surroundings 3 weeks so it is still to early.
Jay

Post by Jay »

yazzie wrote:Hi thanks for your help. I work nights so my son has been helping with the feeding and cleaning, this morning was the first time i opened them this week and the hen is in the nest box. Should i go in and check or should i leave her to it? I am feeding them a good quality parrot mix with fruit and veg I have been putting a soft food in and they do not seem to be interested in it is there any thing i can try.

It is best not to keep bothering breeding pairs especially since she appears to be working the nest already. At this stage, there's nothing you can do to get her to lay an egg.

When the hen doesn't come out for long lengths of time, she probably has 2-3 eggs by then and has started incubating. Then you can peek to satisfy your curiosity ... or perhaps to remove any broken eggs.
Wakizashi21

Re: breeding in the uk

Post by Wakizashi21 »

Hey guys.....

DO you guys know when the Breeding season starts in the UK for IRN's? my IRN are going through the moult stage as the feathers are alll over the place lol

Please let me know.

Many thanks