new fids

Moderator: Mods

bec

new fids

Post by bec »

we adopted 3 budgies on the weekend one very old green boy who is called yerusaki
one blue with a slighty weak leg who matt hasnt named yet

& my new bub yuki an albino who is missing her right eye
all healthy otherwise though & really calming down quickly we are already allowed to pat them & they will land on our hands in the cage
im a little worried about letting yuki out of the cage will she have problems with flying because of her eye or should i look at the idea of clipping her wings for her own saftey?
does anyone else have a one eyed bird? if so how do they cope with it?
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

Oh bec, how sweet! I don't have any one-eyed tame birds but do have a one-eyed cocky that visits here and he seems to get along ok, although I don't know how old he is. He compensates for his missing eye with extremely sharp hearing I think.
I think it would depend on how long your budgie has had no eye ie whether he has adjusted to it or not and also if there are things in your house that he needs to be aware of (like our dogs). Are you worried that he is going to fly into things and hurt himself or are you worried about other pets??

Not much help am I!!
bec

Post by bec »

of course you were helpful chooky but as it turns out i may not need tthe advice about half an hour ago yuki opened her "missing eye" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
i was realy surprised it does look like its infected but she can definitly see out of it ill take her to the vets tomorrow to get her checked out but other than that it looks all good
and im not really worried about jasper the blue males leg because its nowhere near as bad as skeet was when i started hand rearing her & she shows no evidence of that now
un forfortunatly we cant do anything about riusakis condition old age is just one of those things you cant avoid but at least we know he wont spend his last days in a pet shop display cage
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

Bec that is wonderful...yes take her to the vet and have her checked out!

Hopefully she will be fine. A big hug to you and let us know what the vet says!!
bec

Post by bec »

yeah i know not bad for having her for 4 days
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

Bec she will almost certainly recover once she gets some antibiotics into her.

And the other fellow with the leg condition, well I don't know much about it so can't comment. The old boy will love living with you and not in a pet shop for sure!

Good on you for taking the birds in, you have a big heart and I bet your birds love you!!
bec

Post by bec »

thanks chooky :oops:
the thing with jaspers leg is his foot has a little trouble with griping skeet was like that from sleeping on a wheat bag what i was told to do for that was make sure we had plenty if wide perches (like large mineral perches & rope perches for large parrots ) as well as varying sized branches & never!!!!! pull them off anything that their claws could get caught on
it worked for skeet & after 5 days with this jasper can now hold on to the side of the cage & perch on food bowls
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

grats on the three newbies :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

bec

Post by bec »

just got back from the vets with yuki
as thought there was an infection in her eye but its all good news from there her eye is viable and as soon as it was cleaned up it was imeditly clear that she can see with it
she has to be seperated from the other 2 for now(& trust me shes not happy bout that!)
she doesnt like my hospital cage at alll
but i think if shes showing displeasure that obviuosly it can only be a good sign