yellow alexandrines !!

Moderator: Mods

ozziekate05

yellow alexandrines !!

Post by ozziekate05 »

Hi ! can anyone tell me how to get yellow alexandrines ?? Do they put a yellow ringneck with an alexandrine ? do you need a yellow cock ringneck or other way around ? ozzie
ozzie
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well this is a sore topic at the moment in Aviculture here in Australia...

The only Lutino (yellow) Alexandrines are actually hybrids of Normal Green Alex's and Lutino Indian Ringnecks.

There are a few fine examples of Lutino Alexandrines around that are 4th generation, or 15/16 or better purity (15 parts alex 1 part irn).

There are alot, and I mean ALOT of lesser quality Lutino Alexandrines around, that actually have nothing in similar to an Alexandrine, they are just large strange looking indian ringnecks.

If you want to make your own Lutino Alexandrine bloodline, you have to realise its going to take you many years (at least 4 generations of birds, lets say they breed on average at 2yrs of age if your lucky.... thats 8 years being the soonest) just to get a bird that is close... not perfect, to looking like a lutino Alexandrine.

I could not morally help in this area on a forum for all to see, I do not feel it is wrong to do this so dont get that idea, but I believe it takes a strong sound knowledge of genetics and a hell of alot of responsibility from the breeder.

The reason this task takes so much dedication and responsibility is what are you going to do with the young for the first few years? Almost noone keeps the early generation birds they dont want, and they end up floating around as irn's or alexandrines in the trade market... you cant guarantee all will be pets, as many birds sold become breeders if not now.. later on in their life.

To produce your first clutch of good looking, nearly normal looking Lutino Alex's, it can take several clutches of birds from two different bloodlines... you will end up with the problem of trying to house / home MANY hybrid birds that dont look like either IRN or Alex, and that very few breeders would be interested in themselves.

Not trying to be an arse, but this kind of breeding is best kept off forums, as it is not information I believe Aviculture in general wants readily available to just anyone. Try to find a breeder of lutino alex's or other alex hybrid breeders, there arent many, but they are around... and they will all basicly back up what I have said here.
ozziekate05

Post by ozziekate05 »

thankyou for the great information !! makes a whole lot of sense Thankyou cheers ozzie
ozzie