Hello! I have a green-grey ringneck around 5 months.

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

JoshP

Hello! I have a green-grey ringneck around 5 months.

Post by JoshP »

Hi there, I have owned a green-grey ringneck of around 5 months of age for around three weeks now and I also have a young semi tame peachface who we have had for around 3 months.
Sunny is the ringneck, he was hand raised and was tame when we bought him while Reef was wild when we bought him and a little people shy, though now he will quite happily sit on your shoulder - it's just a matter of getting him there first.
Sunny was all over me when I was looking at the birds in the store, so I couldn't say no really, though after a week at home getting used to us he sometimes wants his space and refuses to stepup (I don't ever try to push the matter too much as I don't want to make him aggressive). He can also behave like a little child throwing mini tantrums when he doesn't get his own way, he will get quite worked up and hold his shoulders out wide - but not with his wings extended - pacing side to side with his head forward. I once put him in the cage to tell him his repeated attempts to climb the blinds was not apprdciated and he spent 20 mins trying to break the cage apart from every angle like an avian ADHD child. Once he calmed down I let him back out and he doesn't try to climb the blinds anymore :) Other times he can be very affectionate and will lick our face/neck or chew on our ear lobes etc. and groom our hair - including eyebrows, facial hair etc.
Thanks for your great forum which I have been reading for several weeks already, I thought it was about time I joined.
Mjay

Post by Mjay »

Welcome JoshP :D
I just named my latest addition Sunny (Lutino) LOL
Your Sunny sounds like a character :lol: :lol:
Does he get along with your Peachface?
MJAY
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hey JoshP.

Had a giggle at your Sunny throwing a tanty. :D My Lutino girl, Spongie-Bobette aka Spongie, gets very agressive when she climbs the cage with a nut in her beak only to have it go through the bars and sometimes on the floor. When it goes through the bars, she growls and reefs it back in the cage in a very unhappy manor. I think it is quite funny but she obviously doesn't lol.

Sunny and Reef look very sweet. Sounds like you have done a great job with Reef to get him as quiet as you have in such a short time. :)
Janet

Tantrum

Post by Janet »

The tantrum you describe (shoulders out, wings in, head down, pacing around) sounds like what I call my bird's boy dance. He does it when he is chatting up the other birds or my foot or anything else that takes his fancy. He also makes a funny sound when he is doing it. I thought it was more of a love dance than a tantrum. I might be wrong though.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family :D

I also think what you are describing is more of a male display than a tantrum. But you know, I have a blue male, green male and lutino male and my lutino is definately much more of a spoilt little bugga than both the others, he is moody, playful, clownish, sulky, jealous the whole works, sounds like you have one of these characters also.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

JoshP

Post by JoshP »

Thanks for all the great replies.
With regards to Sunny and Reef getting along, Reef is lucky he's too quick for Sunny otherwise there would be some problems there. Reef loves to annoy Sunny by climbing around through Sunny's cage which is usually a short game, Sunny sees him off rather quickly. Apart from these little intervals both birds will generally sit on top of their cages and Reef will quite often mimic Sunny's current posture or preening technique from his cage a metre away.
Maybe that posture I described before could be due to over excitement/stimulation and not a tantrum, I will have to observe this behaviour some more.
He can definitely be sulky, once after getting in trouble Sunny sat with his back to us facing the wall for a couple of hours. It was more funny than anything to us but he was obviously pretty cut about it. hehe.