is this normal?

Moderator: Mods

Kel_13

is this normal?

Post by Kel_13 »

My ringneck had just started going into a nestbox filled with woodshavings and what she done was she threw out all of those shavings and chose another box so i filled the empty one with the shaving only for her to do the same thing and chose the box with new shavings and has now settled into one and she's been in there for about 2 weeks and i have checked and there is no eggs so is all this normal behaviour?[/b]
Melika

Post by Melika »

Yes, it's normal. Every female is different and makes her nestbox her own. She's just being a little fussy. Don't be suprised if she throws out some shavings, she's making her nest "just right".

Is she a single hen? If so she may not lay an egg, but will go through the motions. Of course she might just lay one soon. :)
Don't let her keep the nestbox for more than two months without laying. Having a box can throw her into the mating mood, and make for a fussy bird. :?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Kel_13

Post by Kel_13 »

thanks for the reply i do only have the one pair of ringnecks and another week has gone by and i haven't be able to catch her out of the nest to check if there are any eggs and if i did check im afraid i will disturb her if she does have eggs and she wont go back to sitting on them so i guess i just have to sit back and hope for the best
Melika

Post by Melika »

You can check. Most females will leave the box when it's being checked (though some try to fight you off, lol) and then go back in when you go away. But if you're happy not checking don't.

If you do begin checking the nest, limit it to once every two days. Some females get upset with daily checks.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Kel_13

checked

Post by Kel_13 »

I finally got the courage to check the nest box only to discover 4 eggs inside!! :D now all i have to hope for it that they are fertile and at least 1 will hatch :|