Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

pm from new member lillian .. help/advice needed

Post by kyria »

To: kyria
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:30 am
Subject: help and introduction
Hi Kyria,

My name is Lillian Cooperman and I joined 2 days ago (if I did it correctly). I really need help with my very hormonal 8 year old lutino ringneck named Lali, I have tried medications and various vets and wanted to ask other ringneck owners for any suggestions they might have.

She has been like this (screaming and exhibiting overt sexual behaviors directed towards me) for years, but it is getting worse. She has as a last resort been on Lupron and Clormiprimine, neither of which seem to do much and I don't want to keep her on hormones.

I have a lovebird and quaker (both girls) who do not exhibit any such behavior. I have moved the cage, ignored her, given her various toys, foraging stuff, etc. Now it appears she has also started some secret feather plucking (I never see her do it, but this one patch never grows back). Can you help or direct me to anyone? I would like my bird, myself, and my other birds and dogs to lead a more pleasant life together. I don't know what else to do. One vet told me with Ringnecks there is nothing else to be done (and I have seen 4 avian vets).

Sorry this is so long. I don't mind paying someone for a consult if necessary. Thank you so much. No rush in reply. I don't really know how to use this site to reach more than one person (?). Thanks. Lillian

---------------------------

I lost my reply as it didn't save to the sent box (was 101% full :-S)

but basically I asked her to supply more info on the birds, background, when she aquired it (what age), the lineage background, the colour mutation, the breeding and upbringing, diet, housing and if the behaviour is aggressive or passive.

I advised that IRN are challenging and highly intelligent and in this are very rewarding once you gain their trust and love.

That most pet stores and avian vets give IRN's a bad rep, as they are not the easiest of birds to tame and train. They are simply not easy like other breeds such as cockatiels, conures and lori's etc.

Anyway .. it would be lovely to get everyones feedback and offers of avenues for this new member of ours.

Regards and Welcome to the family
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless