A new aviary? Can we introduce new birds?

Moderator: Mods

busybody

A new aviary? Can we introduce new birds?

Post by busybody »

We have just built a new avairy for our family of ringnecks. We have Mum and dad and 2 babies born this season.
Should we keep them together? Can we introduce new birds to the new avairy and when should we do this? Should we let them settle first or should we put them all in together?
Also our ringnecks are all blue. What do people think about mixing the colours? Should we introduce only one sex to the avairy or mix them sex and age?
Look forward to some answers.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i dont think you should have more than two IRN's in an averie together because they can become agressive and attck each other
Fah

Post by Fah »

Keeping them together isnt a problem for now, however in breeding season, things can get touchy for space. I take out all my parent reared young before the next season gets started.. just incase there are problems.

How big is the aviary?

Regarding diff colours, they are refered to as mutations, and are generally well bred together for variety. There are some mutations that are harder to breed with than others, but most go very well together.

If the aviary is quite large (3m x 3m or bigger) you can get away with colony breeding... (two or so pairs) if you have multiple boxes set up, and space for them to fly around / escape to... but this is generally recommended for experienced breeders, so they can see when things are getting bad.

There are a few topics here about introducing birds to other birds, IRN to IRN etc etc, so try scouting around the forums for some info.. its all here.

Now... regarding same sex birds... in a regular breeding size aviary, you can get away with more than 2 birds easily, I often housed 3-6 birds of the same sex in aviaries 1m wide 3m long... either I didnt have partners for them, or I had no space at the time to pair them up to breed.

(as young, you can keep any sex together in holding bays, however in breeding season the birds 1.5yrs and up can get argumentative if too many are in a small area).

Key with anything to do with birds.. supervision of change.