Ear biting, how to stop

Moderator: Mods

Deano

Ear biting, how to stop

Post by Deano »

ok well my squak has got onto this habit when sitting on my shoulder of starting to be obsessed with my ears, he nibbles on them but sometimes it gets a bit hard and it gets annoying, you put him down after that , but then he climbs back up your arm and onto my shoulder then its ear time again, :lol: , hes only about 4 months old

any suggestions to stop this or any one else had this problem , its getting to the stage where i dont trust him on my shoulder, its not a viscous bite its just nibbling but at times it gets a bit harder
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Choco does that too, only that he nibbles on my earrings and sometimes gets my ears all the while making his little noises (it's kind of funny when he's nibbling on the earrings and squeaking at the same time right in my ear it tickles). I just use my hand to gently push him away and say "no Choco" or put him down somewhere so he's distracted then pick him back up again- that usually works.
Janet

Ear biting

Post by Janet »

Hi,

One of my birds likes to snack on my ear. She doesn't do it very much any more. I started covering my ear with my hand whenever she did it and she got bored. Now whenever she goes to do it and I start to raise my hand she just stops. Of course, now I have to stop her doing a hit and run bite of my toes or ankle - I think she thinks it's funny because she does a happy little hop around after she does it.

Regards,
Janet (Bird and Floss' mum)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Jibby does this too. But he never bites hard enough. Its just a little nibble just soft enough for me to flinch, but never chomps down hard. Most of the time, hes just in the process of preening my hair, then finds an ear in there, and 'tests' it. lol.
Im sorry I have nothing to offer. Maybe try distracting with a toy or something. :)
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

hehe Spit does the same as Lauren's Jibby. He comes across an ear whilst preening my hair and he runs his tongue along the upper part of my ear. It's gross, but it tickles like hell. He does test it occasionally but he hasn't bit down hard.
Maybe you should stop your fid being on your shoulder all together? I remember reading up about bird's and it says they shouldn't be allowed up there anyways. I only let my fid on my shoulder if im sat down and he doesnt stay there for long. He has a thing for hair at the minute