My RingNeck ...

Moderator: Mods

heedcase

My RingNeck ...

Post by heedcase »

Loves Pepsi, Coffee and Chocolate ...

I mean he goes wild when he sees anyone with the following food and drink. We give him a tiny little bit and loves them all but we are well aware that they are not good for him.

Why do you think he loves them so much ?
heedcase

Post by heedcase »

Anyone at all .... LOL ?
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heh birds like things they arent necessarily sure are good or bad for them... you have to be very careful of the coffee and chocolate parts, as these have been known to be fatal for birds, and just not really a crash hot idea over the long run of the birds health...

Sometimes it might not be a noticeable thing with your bird, but it can mean the difference between the full 30ish years of life, and 15 years of life.

My IRN LOVES chocolate cookies, but I have to keep the chunks of chocoolate to myself, and make sure he only gets his beak into the cookie dough part.
heedcase

Post by heedcase »

What things can you give them as a treat ? Apart from the usual Veg and fruit which he gets lots of.

I just need to know what to give him that is ok like biscuits, cakes, meats and stuff cos he screams when he see's us with food and always wants a bite of something.
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

My IRN she loves to try anything i eat and now anything our newest baby pre-fledgling is eating - what it does not eat Siren is in there quick as a flash eating it all-sigh!

from the posts here i have found that nuts and sultanas are a biggie for treats i know for certain Siren loves to get a walnut - whole - and spends a good chunck of time and effort into breaking it open and then fetching out the bits.
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

Chocolate and avocados are definite no-no's. Coffee and tea are probably not great, but I could picture these birds eating coffee beans in the wild (if they lived in South America which they don't).

My bird likes to take a sip from my coffee cup, just to share. But it's just a tiny sip.

She will also take ice cubes from my ice tea and chew them, during hot weather.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Definately a big NO NO.

These may seem harmless at first. But will eventually kill. Would you really want to risk the health of your beloved bird?

Birds like alot of what is not good for them. I think we all treat our birds every now and then. But caffiene, chocolate and avocado are dangerous and Id never ever give them these!

Jibby loves peanut butter, he loves to lick the butter out off sandwichs, forget the bread! he just licks them! Im seriously trying to stop him. He goes bonkers if he doesnt get a peanut butter sandwich! Im trying to offer him something better for him. But he knows where we hide the peanut butter, and sometimes sits on the shelf with it calling for me. Argh! LOL My bad! He now loves to crack open a peanut shell. Id rather him eat a natural peanut, (untreated) than peanut butter loaded with salt and other additives. We're still working on his peanut addiction.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

I don't care for avacados myself, and rarely eat chocolate, so we don't keep that stuff in the house. Peanut butter is good.

I just wish I could get her to eat carrots......... she used to like them but now just tosses them out of the dish.
Janet

Dietary restrictions

Post by Janet »

Hi,

My avian vet said my birds could eat anything I eat EXCEPT caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, salt and avocado. He said under NO circumstances should I give my birds any of these things. My birds would eat these things if they could but I make sure they don't get them. My guys will growl at me for taking away my diet coke but they still can't have it. Floss did help herself to my yoghurt this morning which was a bit funny because of her beautiful yoghurt face!

Regards,
Janet