new and old together - how does that go

Moderator: Mods

Dolphinheart

new and old together - how does that go

Post by Dolphinheart »

We were hoping to get another IRN a baby this time for my husband but he has just got a FIFO job and did not think it fair as then i would have 3 birds i would have to take care of as well as the dog, cats and so forth down the list :) Maybe when i feel more confident that Siren is liking me i will consider it. I find it hard presently to give them all the time they need and me time too (just a matter of changing routines but need to do it slowly as they are all sensitive to change)

My question after that long winded intro is how do older birds take to younger birds.
My siren has a wiero for company (not in same cage but within eye contact) but if we were to get a baby IRN in general (knowing each bird is totally differnt form another ) will she take to it? in a good way rather than take to it with beak and claws :)
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heya, goes just like any other pairing, being careful and taking your time to make introductions is the key.

You wouldnt want to just throw the two birds into the aviary together and wait to see... when they have sorta become familiar with each other visually and sound wise and they know they are not going away... when you make the same aviary introductions... keep a very close eye on them, and if you dont trust the situation, dont let them stay in the same aviary the first night.
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

Thanks for that