Re-post--- How is breeding going for people in the States??

Moderator: Mods

Peachykeen

Re-post--- How is breeding going for people in the States??

Post by Peachykeen »

Mine are working the box. I have not seen any active breeding and of course no eggs.. but it is still early.

Was wondering how others were doing with the mild weather and whatnot?

Thanks!
Suzanne- NC- USA
noeo

Post by noeo »

Hello,

I am from southern california. It is still pretty warm here. my birds don't seem interested in breeding. they keep fighting with each other. the hen did produced eggs this last spring and was sitting on them but nothing happened. I'm guessing it is still early.
Peachykeen

Jan and finally really getting close

Post by Peachykeen »

I am in NC and we have been having some serious activity from all the breeders in the nest box. I have not caught anyone mating but don't hang out much where they are.

They are emptying out that nesting material regular. Had to go buy another big bag today. I wish I could catch them mating. I had a cam in the room with them last year but have no spare computer this year- so I am flying blind.

Last year it was Feb before any eggs came... so maybe a repeat this year!

Anyone else getting a late start. The winter has been mild here.

Suzanne
Suzanne- NC- USA
noeo

Post by noeo »

I am from southern California
My female is busy fixing her nestbox. she started doing this during Christmas time.
both the male and female are not fighting anymore. I stated on an earlier message that both of my birds were constanly fighting with each other. Now, they perch close to each other and seem happy together.
My nestbox is a boot shaped box and keep my birds outside in a walkin aviary.
JimHcctx

Breeding in TX

Post by JimHcctx »

I have 5 pairs in Corpus Christi, TX, one has 2 eggs, another couple seems to be thinking about it, two others have been in and out of the box, but not working on it too hard, and the fifth pair hate each other and she keeps wanting me to breed her.... frustrating to say the least, in a perfect world all eggs would drop the same day. :(
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
n9ter

Post by n9ter »

So it's the time of year where everyone should see at least 2 to 5 eggs in the nest of their Ringneck. I went to look inside the nest box of 1 of my pairs a couple of day ago, and she has 3 eggs and partially sitting on them. I noticed she still comes out to mates, and today she's in her box incubating full time. I guess by now she should have 5 eggs. I have total 2 pairs and both are sitting. They started working on the nest box early Dec 2008, but for some reason they don't breed 'till late January. I guess it's normal or depend on the sign of spring for these birds. Last season one of the 2 pair were infertile, and the fertile pair were only hatched 2 out of 5 eggs. I hope this year, they are more prolific. I hope everyone have the best of lucks this year. Anyway, I just want to post to keep the some of you inform and hope I don't rambling too much to many of you. Oh I am also from Southern California, Los Angeles.
Peachykeen

We have eggs!

Post by Peachykeen »

Well they definitely waited until late Feb to start this year. We are running about three weeks behinds or so from last year. I went out tonight to just check as I was beginning to give up hope and there ya go! We have two eggs in one of the pairs box.

I am hoping all 3 pairs will produce this year. I think at the least my other pair is prepping. When you go out to feed her she runs into the box. She has been doing this for a week but last I check before tonight which was about 4 days ago there was nothing. Tonight when I checked her- she wouldn't leave the box but still no egg.

I am gonna give it about 2 weeks and then check them and see if they are any good.

I am a happy pre-mom tonight!
Suzanne- NC- USA
Peachykeen

We have another!

Post by Peachykeen »

Went out to turn the lights off for the breeders tonight and I noticed my Turq female out of her nestbox and she didn't run right back in there like when i went out to feed them earlier. She has an egg... just laid it tonight!

Whoooo hooo!

Suzanne
Suzanne- NC- USA
Peachykeen

FIRST BABY HATCHED TODAY!!!! :)

Post by Peachykeen »

Well we ended up with 13 eggs at last count.... I know that 9 of them are good- on is clear. The 3rd pair just started laying hers this last week- so I have not checked those yet.

The first baby hatched this morning from my green pair- she is the one that had one clear egg out of her 5. I am so proud of her!

What shocked me was my white female. They waited so long - I just didn't think it was going to happen. Not to mention I never saw any indication that she was remotely interested in her male. So suprise!

Anyhooo- hope everyone else is having a good season!
Suzanne- NC- USA