Coming along nicely...

Moderator: Mods

pinkdevil

Coming along nicely...

Post by pinkdevil »

This is Sponge Bob as he has been nicknamed. :)

Poor little Sponge Bob was found in the nest a few days ago with splayed legs.
This is how he looked when I found him at 8 days old....

This is how he is today, just a few days later...

He still kicks his leg out to the side but we are still working on making him better.

Great improvement, don't you think?????? :)

He is 13 days old today and weighs 29.5grms. That is a 12 grm gain. Lovin' his food so I guess he will begin to gain alot more even quicker everyday to lol

I am very proud of our little Aussie Battler. :D :P
Fah

Post by Fah »

Looking forward to watching it feather up... going to be an ino of some sort (albino or lutino depending on parents)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh kool Fah....I was thinking the exact same thing!

We were just discussing and trying to search for info on what it could be.

But from what I was told the parents were, I didn't think possible.

The parents are supposed to be

Male
Grey

Hen
Cinnamon/blue

What else would or could be either parents split with to get an ino?
I have been racking my brain and searching and searching and still none the wiser. :evil:

Is there such a thing as a Grey/ino or Grey Ino????....or is that a dumb question??? lol

Oh this has just made my day if there is a chance that the little one is an ino.....especially if an albino!!!!. :D :D :D :D
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well, its definately an Ino type bird.

Going from the parents, the male has to be split ino (you cant have a hen split ino, its a sex linked gene, she is either ino, or not) for there to be ino young.

So effectively you have a male that is Grey split ino (grey is actually two genes together, grey and blue).

The pair you have can throw the following:

The "/something" means its split for something.. there can be multiple genes that it is split for after the "/".

:::::::::::::::::::::Cocks:::::::::::::::::::::
Grey /cinnamon
Blue /cinnamon
GreyGreen /blue cinnamon
Green /blue cinnamon
Grey /ino cinnamon
Blue /ino cinnamon
GreyGreen /blue ino cinnamon
Green /blue ino cinnamon
:::::::::::::::::::::Hens:::::::::::::::::::::
Grey
Blue
GreyGreen /blue
Green /blue
Grey Ino (albino but also has both grey and blue genes as well as ino)
Blue Ino (normal albino, blue and ino genes)
Green Ino /blue (lutino)
GreyGreen Ino /blue (I honestly have not known someone with a greygreen Ino, though I asume it looks just the same as lutino just masking the grey gene)

So your young bird has to be a girl, and genetics aside, it is either Lutino (yellow in colour) or Albino (white in colour).
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

So I have a little girl :D :D Well that helps choosing names a lot easier lol :P

I played around with the genetics calculator with Grey/ino as a choice. I just didn't know if there was such a thing as grey/ino.

I was also wondering this morning. I have a pair of Lutinos in the aviary next door. I think highly unlikely, but would it be possible for the male lutino to have gotten to the cinnamon hen between the wire?
The wire is only small squares, mice can't get through it unless a baby mouse.
I think it would be near on impossible but thought I would ask anyway....showing my blondeness here lol :P :P

I would LURV her to be an Albino. How kool would that be, to breed my dream colour IRN in my first year!! lol

I am tipping though, that she, (have to get used to calling her that lol) is a Lutino. :D

lol I even got a magnifying glass to see what colour the feather may be lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Too early to see yet.....lol
Fah

Post by Fah »

hehe, love remembering back when i started breeding...

Nah, the male in the other aviary is noway the parent, at least, you would have to have both birds doing a circus act to make it work, even then... :/

In regards to gencalc, when playing with Visually Grey birds, always remember that the genetics you need to choose are both Grey(sf) (sf = single factor) and Blue. Effectively choosing two colours for one.

A Greygreen bird is just the selection of grey, as green is set by default.

Ino is a very easily identifiable gene, since your male is just Grey, he is split ino (as the hen is not visual either, she is not ino at all) in order to have an ino baby.

As the gene is "sex linked" you can easily tell that its a hen, as no male young from that clutch could be pure albino/lutino.