Sky's New Look

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

Sky's New Look

Post by SkyBaby »

He grew a random green feather just about a month ago. Now he's got tons! Is he a turquoise? When I use my camera's flash, his feathers shine a turquoise green, even though they look pretty much blue to the naked eye.

That shot is just of the ones on his back. There are several more, too. Some are over-lapping each other, so they're hard to see just in a picture. Others are still pin feathers, covered by the mature feathers. He's got a few light minty green color on his chest. Those didn't photograph well. They blend in with the rest of his chest feathers.

The ones on his head are a lot brighter green than how they look in the shot. You can almost see the minty green feathers on his chest. Like I said.. they didn't photograph well.

I bought him as a blue, though. That's what the pet shop said he was. Now he's growing green feathers. :D I'm not complaining.. I love the turquoise mutation anyways. :D How much more is a turquoise worth than a blue? I'm just curious about what kind of deal we got that's all. :D
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:shock: Wow! That is so cool! I have no idea about the genetics. Sorry. Thats amazing, maybe he will morph into a greenie. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Lauren wrote::shock: Wow! That is so cool! I have no idea about the genetics. Sorry. Thats amazing, maybe he will morph into a greenie. :D

Maybe :D I dunno what he's gonna be. I called a breeder I'm gonna get my next bird from and he said Sky is most likely turquoise. Apparently there are 3 different types of turquoises. There's one where the bird only has a few green feathers and is mostly blue (like Sky), the other one is mostly green with a few blue feathers, and the other is half green and half blue. I don't know what kind Sky is going to be. I shall wait and see :D
Fah

Post by Fah »

I would say you have a turquoise blue bird there :D Its not uncommon for heavily blue birds to not show for the first few months.

Turquoise is a gene that actually increases in strength in colour as the bird ages (often not stopping in changes till 4-5 years).

There are not different types of turquoise, just its a random gene you could say... some birds have strong blue, others strong green... males change the most as they age growing very green heads etc...

Its a lovely mutation :D