Breeding Age

Moderator: Mods

Jim

Post by Jim »

A female hatched in 2007 will probably be ready to breed in 2009. Some males are ready in 2 years but some need another year. A couple of people have told me that they've had success about half the time with a 2 year old male.

That's an interesting question about birds from a second clutch. I have no idea about the answer, unfortunately.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
Fah

Post by Fah »

I dont know really. I honestly think its luck and hormones... somewhat similar to how some people mature physically faster/slower than others.

I would say that over half my two year old cocks have given me clutches with 2yo hens. Albeit, small clutches, maybe 2 eggs sometimes three at best.

I prefer not to breed my 1yo hens, even though I have had rather good success doing so in the past. I like my hens to mature to the second year before putting the stress of a clutch on them.

I have never heard of a 1yo cock having success with a clutch (at least not fertile anyway).
Fah

Post by Fah »

Indians have a well known ability for highly random ring times.

Have seen cock birds colour up as young as 1.5 years, and as late as 2.5 years... though I have heard of exceptions of just under 1.5 years and just over 2.5 years.

You can be pretty sure from behaviour in mating season from the 2nd year on, very sure by their 3rd year.

Other than that, there is no definitive answer for the sex appart from DNA sexing, Surgical sexing or even Nest sexing if the parent genetics allow for it.