Changing colours

Moderator: Mods

cbmt

Changing colours

Post by cbmt »

Hi, Just need some advice as i dont have a lot of experience with ring necks.

Today I went to check my ringnecks breeding box (hip hip horray they are sitting on 4 beautiful eggs) but i noticed that my green male is growing yellow feathers under his tail and under his wing. I'm not sure how old he is but we have had him about 18 months and the people we got them from had them for about 3 years (i think). Is it normall for them to change colours at this age??
Fah

Post by Fah »

What are you feeding him? He could be lacking a few key nutritional needs?

Its not normal for the colour changes to take place at such a late stage in their early years...
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Congrads on the eggs! Now about the colours.. :lol: Normal greens have yellow under the tail and wings, this is quite normal. :wink: As they grow older you may even see more blue show in the tail and nape to head or even a blue 'sheen' to them.
My male greens tail is almost all blue at the moment! :shock: I have always kept his molted tail feathers over the years and I have mostly yellow tail feathers from him. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Fah

Post by Fah »

Cool, was not aware that the change in greens was so lasting through the years. Learn something new every day :D

I knew they had yellow, was just suprised at the fact they are only going yellow at over 4-4.5 years of age.