Hen sitting all day in nestbox 4 3 weeks - No Eggs :(

Moderator: Mods

Ring0Neck

Hen sitting all day in nestbox 4 3 weeks - No Eggs :(

Post by Ring0Neck »

If anyone has any idea what to do or what would you do if you had this problem:

I have a pair of ringnecks that had done everything that all other pairs did...cock does the dance...mate..work the box...but now the hen sits in the box all day long just as if she was sitting on eggs incubating, but there is no eggs. no she did not hide the eggs i checked

it has been about 3 weeks now and i have asked breeders around without much luck not even 1 suggestion of what to do.

i am thinking that the hen is hiding as she must have been very stressed out had a few scares in her past, she looks very traumatized, i have acquired this bird 2 months ago.

would it be that she can not lay eggs? she is not egg-bound she would have died weeks ago and i would have noticed her being sick.
**i am thinking of moving them into another aviary, maybe she will feel safer there but it might be too late in the season and not lay eggs because she has been moved. please let me know your thoughts
Fah

Post by Fah »

First off getting an IRN pair to mating in less than 2 months of owning it in a new nest box and environment is in itself suprising. Infact from what you say its been about a month since owning it and they were at it pretty hard and the fact you aquired them during the period they all start going down into boxes (ish).

You cant rush things, and infact its already getting late into the season. So to not have laid by now, is not a good sign she will do so this year.

With such a new bird, and not knowing its history, there is no sure answer to this except time. If she looks traumatised then you have a serious breeding problem (she may be going through the motions, but her body may have no interest in kick starting the reproductive cycle if she isnt happy.

If she is still looking rather traumatised after 2 months of new housing, she is deffinately not happy where you have her. So I suggest moving her to a new aviary.

I am doubtful she will go down in the state she is this year... however after moving her, she may just slip into the normal routine, and it is Australia, so even late there is a small chance of her laying still.

let us know what you end up doing and what happens ^^
clear

Post by clear »

wow mmy were doing that for nearlly 3 months but i have 4 new babies now and i have started to hand rear them after takeing them out of the nest she layed more eggs so good luck it will happen
we try
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

just an update o the hen: i left her for 2 weeks where she was, no eggs, i moved her to a new aviary, no eggs in the end i sold the pair.