To Much fruit?

Moderator: Mods

SDAnimalKing

To Much fruit?

Post by SDAnimalKing »

Is it bad to give your IRN to much fruit? I usually give him 2 or 3 pieces a day... It depends on the day on what it is, but it seems to make him poop a lot more often... Im scared that it is going to dehydrate him or something... I try to switch the fruit up day to day... Pineapple, oranges, apples, strawberries, grapes, and others... i try to give him a lot of things because he chooses not to eat the pellets... so i know he needs some vitamins...

So... can you feed ur IRN to much fruit?
Fah

Post by Fah »

Indeed you can.

Fruit is good for your bird, however it is also 70-80% water in most cases.

An IRN's (as like any other parrot) gastro-intestinal tract is designed to handle compact, concentrated foods such as - meats, cereals, nuts and seeds and various fruit and veg that fit into that category (like peas, carrot, beans etc)

As much as fruit is good, to rely on it as a main source of food will not get your bird near what it needs in nutrition... and too much fruit fills the birds stomach and its interest in the seed / important foods dwindle.

It will not dehydrate your pet, however you are not meeting the dietary needs (fibre vitamins etc etc) that I mentioned above. Making a slow decline in the birds health a very likely path.
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

well his apatite for seeds and other food provided hasn't gone down at all.. its gone up... but i dunno... thanks for the info.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well, if your IRN poops are always runny, your bird is not getting enough fiber. Runny poop isnt a problem after eating fruits etc, but healthy regular poop should have some consistency to it.

Sounds iky but yah :P