not quite a flock... some reptile friends :)

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

robin.s

not quite a flock... some reptile friends :)

Post by robin.s »

i hope you guys don't mind showing you guys these, as they are not avian ;)

here are some of our reptiles :)

kinky, one of our green tree pythons Morelia viridis

Nibbler, Green Tree Python Yearling Morelia viridis

Belem locale Boa Constrictor constrictor

flash our pac man frog Ceratophrys ornata

underwoodasaurus milli hatchlings

the mom

dad

Leopard Gecko Eublepharis macularius Enigma Morph

Leopard Gecko Eublepharis macularius Bell albino enigma morph

enjoy (:
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

these guys are so pretty! You take some beautiful pictures! I love the close-ups. (my geeky artistic side speaking) I want a snake. How's the green tree python's temperament as compared to other pythons? I would like to get one some day.
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

thank you!
here is some more of my photography http://robinism.deviantart.com/

i would not suggest a green tree python as a first snake. if you want to start out with pythons a ball python or royal python python regius. they are small (max about five feet) girthy but for the most part very docile. only buy captive born and bred hatchlings. wild caught or captive hatched babies can be hard to get eating. generally the captive born and bred feed great and by the time you buy them are well established. they are very hardy and handleable. as most animals they can be a bit nippy as babies but trust me the IRN bites are MUCH worse LOL. they are quite easy to keep and very enjoyable. there are many morphs and mutation some of them not too expensive and some outrageous! but all in all i would say that would be the best to start with, they are a bit less forgiving than the green trees. the green tr5ees can have horrible tempers. babies are nippy.again only captive born and bred animals. they have much more needs than ball pythons. also normal ball pythons are much less than green tree pythons (money). both green trees and ball pythons will take frozen thawed prey :)
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

by the way guys. none of my animals eat birds, just to let you know.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

robin.s wrote:thank you!
here is some more of my photography http://robinism.deviantart.com/

i would not suggest a green tree python as a first snake. if you want to start out with pythons a ball python or royal python python regius. they are small (max about five feet) girthy but for the most part very docile. only buy captive born and bred hatchlings. wild caught or captive hatched babies can be hard to get eating. generally the captive born and bred feed great and by the time you buy them are well established. they are very hardy and handleable. as most animals they can be a bit nippy as babies but trust me the IRN bites are MUCH worse LOL. they are quite easy to keep and very enjoyable. there are many morphs and mutation some of them not too expensive and some outrageous! but all in all i would say that would be the best to start with, they are a bit less forgiving than the green trees. the green tr5ees can have horrible tempers. babies are nippy.again only captive born and bred animals. they have much more needs than ball pythons. also normal ball pythons are much less than green tree pythons (money). both green trees and ball pythons will take frozen thawed prey :)

You're welcome! Hey.. I'm on dA too! http://orcamistress101.deviantart.com

There's a real pretty orange corn snake at the pet shop I work at. It's got dark brownish orange in some places, some shades of lighter rusty orange, and creamy colors. He's very sweet, too. 4 feet long. I'd love to take him, but my hubby is mildly afraid of snakes. :D Dunno what to call his color.. something like orange cream cicle? dunno.
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

does he have red eyes?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Great reptiles and great photography!

Do you breed GTPs?

I was told that GTPs are fickle to breed as they are renouned to prolaps easily and have all sorts of complications.

I absolutley LOVE the Leopard Gecko.....wonder if we can have them in Oz lol Have to get the boy onto seeing if we can lol :P
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

we do not breed them. kinky, the adult green tree is only a pet. nibbler is well, we haven't probed him yet but we are hoping a "he" for a cage mate for kinky (since we will not be breeding)

but i have breeder friends that do and sometimes they can be hard to get viable eggs. there are certain techniques you can do for laying mother to help against prolapses. i mean it does happen but not nearly as often as some people might tell you. more prolapses are caused by over feeding than by dropping eggs. like any arboreal snake there are going to be some problems but if you have everything set up correctly. proper humidity, temps, lighting, perches, nest, available water and proper pre-lay food schedule you will be fine. the problem with arboreal snakes prolapsing is simply gravity well and larger than normal eggs which can cause egg binding.

as far as the leopard geckos. let me know if you are interested a very good friend of mine ships world wide and is one of the top private breeders here in the US. you can check out her website if you want http://www.hisss.net. her name is kelli and she can also answer questions about Australian laws, as her husband is a reptile keeper at the ft. worth zoo and has been keeping reptiles for about the past 30 years. he is always up to date on all the laws (yes even world wide).
just to let you know, some of the morphs are quite expensive heheh

also thank you for the comment about my photography. i am legally blind and i took up photography about 3 years ago right before my first corneal transplant. i guess i figured it would help me pass the time while i couldn't work :lol:. just became a hobby since then :)
saramccau

Re: not quite a flock... some reptile friends :)

Post by saramccau »

a leopard gecko would be great here in australia, but it is illigal to keep forign animals unless you have a very hard to get licence lol :( but on the other hand the wild gtp are a bonus... Not that we can take them from the wild anyway lol. I want to move to america...
saramccau

Post by saramccau »

a leopard gecko would be great here in australia, but it is illigal to keep forign animals unless you have a very hard to get licence lol :( but on the other hand the wild gtp are a bonus... Not that we can take them from the wild anyway...or even pick them up for that matter lol. I want to move to america...
saramccau

Post by saramccau »

sorry about the double post my ringneck ducky chews on my touch screen phone lol
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

hi Robin

These are terrific photos. Well done!

Ellie.