He nearly got away!

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

PuffnFresh

He nearly got away!

Post by PuffnFresh »

My family was outside enjoying a nice breakfest on the veranda while piplar was crawling over his cage and munching on some apple. What i didnt release is that the door to the veranda, which is approx 3 metres away from his cage, was open. while we were eating breakfest he had crawled out of the door and was climbed onto the pool fence. once breakfest was over i couldnt find him, i started to panick and almost broke into tears. i searched the whole house looking for him but i thought i had lost him... until i heard this "Hello piplar" in a high pitched voice. i ran outside and there he is looking at me.

I am very caitous now when i get him out of his cage because anything can happen even the best of people.
Stacy

Post by Stacy »

Hi PuffnFresh. Yes it can be scary when these guys wander away. Once I had an irn called Michael(She died from a red back spider bite). She was outside getting some sunshine when my niece had let her out of her cage. When we noticed she was gone I did cry alot and was very frantic. We found her a half hour later in the next street in a large tree. I raced home and made her a some paw paw mush and put it in her coffee cup and made my husband and I a cup of coffee each. Took it back to the tree and sat down to a picnic. Michael just climb down that there tree and wandered over and started to have her mush. She thinks she is having what we are having. I am very pleased that she didn't get too far. It shows how much you love your irn.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Wow! What a good birdie staying put! Its so scary to think of them outside where they are not used to the 'elements'. So glad Piplar didnt go far.

I am overly cautious with my 2 as they are both flighted. But I do trust Jibby, because there has been plenty of occasions where guests in our home have opened outside doors and not checked on the birds, Jibby doesnt bother, hes also very unsure of 'new experiences', venturing out into the big world, would be a daunting thing for him I think! Lola I trust not so much, shes all into 'new experiences' and 'explorations'!
Once my partners father opened our double balcony doors in our old place, on the 3rd story.. I reckon he had them open for atleast 5 minutes because he went out to have a smoke.. I entered the room and Jibby was sitting at the door having a good ol chat! Of course I ran in screaming 'shut the door shut the door!' then grabbed Jibby. But I think Jibby was prolly thinking what I was doing running around screaming. :roll:
I have also answered the front door plenty of times with him sitting on my shoulder.. hes just never bothered! I still get a little frantic when guests open doors without looking around first though!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
PuffnFresh

Post by PuffnFresh »

lol. i think piplar is alot like that to. He has two cages, one for day time and night time. this is because his cage is to big to fit inside and at night he can stay cool and socialize and watch some tv. when ever i transfer him between cages, im really worried. but he doesnt have any intentions of flying away. he just watches and gets excited when he sees fruit in his food bowl so that is good. i have lost a cockatiel and its so hard especially when you become attached to them :cry: Lola is a beautiful girl. my friend had a blue male but he didnt treat him very well :x he didnt pay much attention and the bird pushed him away during bluffing. this made the bird bite alot and just wasnt a nice bird. quite sad
PuffnFresh

Post by PuffnFresh »

Stacy wrote: It shows how much you love your irn.

hey stacy, sounds like a good boy for coming down and im really sorry about micheal. Yeah all of my friends think i am wierd for loving my bird so much but i'd do anything for him
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That was so lucky.

Glad it was just a close call and piplar didn't want to explore more of the outside world.

Makes your heart skip a beat when something like this happens hey.