Which is better?

Moderator: Mods

SDAnimalKing

Which is better?

Post by SDAnimalKing »

To clip the wings and keep them from flight or let them fly?
nil

Post by nil »

other prefer clipping and other not.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.
I prefer not to clipping the wings, because birds love to fly.
i accept clipping only if it is vitally necessary, like highly probable for escape.
But if you decide to clip, let a vet or an experienced to do this.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Right now, Sky's wings are clipped. I plan on letting him grow his wings out and training him recall (flying back to me the second i call him). I wouldn't take him out without a leash and harness, just for safety though. There are lots of things to consider when letting your bird's wings grow out and train him recall. One big one is the very real possibility of hawk/falcon attacks. These predators are more likely to drop a captured parrot with a leash and harness than a parrot without one.
laine

Post by laine »

I have always had Smokey clipped but because of time and money I haven't been to the vet for a while to get him clipped again. His feathers haven't completely grown but enough to fly around the house and fly up from the ground. He flies around looking for me if he doesn't see which way I walked. It is so cute I like to leave the room and wait for him to follow, I love it. He watches me like a hawk and flies after me with a perfect shoulder landing every time. The down side is I worry about him flying out of a door that's been accidentally left ajar or if I walk out that he will be too quick and catch me before I close the door. We keep the kitchen lights off at night so he won't fly in there, for his own safety. Not sure if I will clip before the summer, he just loves to follow me. If I do, I guess I will have to be aware of him and take him with me to the other parts of the house so he doesn't get lonely. He squawks too loud if he is clueless as to which way I went - it's just too loud.