Teflon scares me.

Moderator: Mods

SDAnimalKing

Teflon scares me.

Post by SDAnimalKing »

This teflon poison fuem thing scares me. I only have one or two pots/pans right now that are not coated in the stuff.... Can some one explain how this works... i've read in most places that the fuems occure when the teflon is over heated... well whats over heated... whats ok? I know the use of teflon should be non existant.... what if I use it and have the bird in a different room or closed off... I have no problem going out and buying new pots/pans... as a matter of fact ive needed to do it for some time... I just want to be safe about what I have currently. Please break it down so that a 3 year old will understand!!!!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I have read alot of confusing and conflicting info on this and it just confuses me even more. Its not only cooking pans etc, teflon can be found in many other things around your house. I discovered my hair straightener is teflon coated, irons are often teflon coated, hairdryers, heaters, some stove elements... and the list goes on. I wish I could explain exactly how it works, but I'm confused aswell.
Ive been told the teflon has to be heated over a certain temp to emitt the fumes, but then Ive read if any teflon is heated it will emitt fumes at any temp. Also read that if there is the slightest scratch on the teflon coated pan and you cook with it, this will also emitt more fumes. Either way, Id just do your best to stay away from teflon products. But there is almost always going to be some form of teflon lurking around the house that your unaware of.
I just try to keep the house well ventalated. I'd love to go out and buy new pots and pans, a new hair straightener. :( Anything Teflon should be banned! Its not only dangerous to animals, especially birds, but it is also bad for human health aswell.
Sorry I couldnt help explaining it in simple form as I havnt got a clue. :roll: LOL.
Here is a bit of info on it..
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=18&articleid=2874
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Fah

Post by Fah »

Teflon (the brand name commonly associated with the chemical polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)) does emit particles during heating, some makers of the PTFE do lesser quality than others, and can be known to start breaking down and going into the atmosphere (air around you) at about 140 celcius (285 f).

What people need to realise is this. Humans do not have the same problem birds do with products in the air... we cough, the tissues in the lobes of our lungsg are capable of expelling light gases with relative ease (as it does not remain in our system), and teflon is not a killer for humans in the tiny amounts that it exists in our environment.

However... we all know the canary in the coal mine situation. Birds are extremely vulnerable to gases due to 1) their very efficient and very small lungs are far more vulnerable to that "low" amount of gas due to proportionary difference. A full thimble of water for example is nothing to us... yet a bird might drink one or two thimbles a day. Same principle goes for gas. 2) they are incapable of expelling air through coughing.

When you cough, you are reacting to either something bad for the body, or something that doesnt agree with you regardless of its danger. Birds dont get this luxory.

This applies to almost any toxic fume, not just (PTFE) and teflon gets alot of mention simply due to its common house bound nature.

So if you have indoor birds, and you need to use teflon, please open the window in the kitchen or have a vent going, and have the bird as far removed from the kitchen while cooking with the product as possible.

Teflon is not evil... its just that its far more common than painting a house is with birds indoors. Anyone letting teflon products overheat would very well notice it on the pan as the teflon will start to crack and come off... hence... why old pans lose their non stick nature if not carefully looked after... it ends up in the food, air etc...
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

Micro wave popcorn bags also have teflon in them a friend of mine just lost her African grey to makeing popcorn on a daily basis apperently the popcorn babs are also causeing seizers in humans thats how bAD THE TEFLON IS WHEN IT IS EXPOSED TO MICRO WAVE PLEASE BE CAREFUL AROUND YOUR BIRDS. IF YOU RIP A POPCORN BAG YOU CANS SEE THE VERY THIN LAYER OF TEFLON