My 5 month old IRN Is a very aggressive aviary bird!

Moderator: Mods

James Stackz

My 5 month old IRN Is a very aggressive aviary bird!

Post by James Stackz »

I have recently brought a 5 month old IRN ( approx 2 days ago.) I am used to having Cockatiels i have a 7 month old male called Rio. I have left my new IRN to settle in his cage for a couple of days and talked to him, but he still seems to be angry. if you put your hand in he will try to attack you, if you pick him up he will scream and bite, i have even had to go to the lengths of putting garden gloves on to check he is not hurt from flapping round the cage. what should i do about taming him? and how do i get him less stressed? thank you. :?
sanjays mummi

Re: My 5 month old IRN Is a very aggressive aviary bird!

Post by sanjays mummi »

He is a very scared, stressed little guy, he thinks attack is the best form of defence. The best you can do for now, is let him settle in, it took my bird a few weeks of sitting beside the cage talking and singing to her. Do the absolute minimum inside his cage, gloves may scare him even more, sorry to say. Sit beside his cage to eat your meals, he will become curious, and come down for a morsel, offer treats through the bars, my bird was also aviary hatched and parent reared, I got her at 8 Weeks, she will be 8 years old next month, she will never step up, or shoulder ride, but that's ok with me, your bird will eventually learn to trust you and bond with you, have patience.
James Stackz

Re: My 5 month old IRN Is a very aggressive aviary bird!

Post by James Stackz »

Thank you, i will use your advice and let him settle in. H :D e has started to come to the bottom of the cage to say hello so giving him time is working :D