IRN Scared Of Hands

Moderator: Mods

rhyrhy312

IRN Scared Of Hands

Post by rhyrhy312 »

Hi,

I have an IRN who is turning 1 year old next month
I purchased him from a family that was moving away when he was 6 months old.

When I first got him he was very scared and would not even come close to anyone without trying to bite them.
Since living with me he now not only comes out of the cage he will climb on my shoulder, Take food from my hands, Talks non stop and whistles and even plays peekaboo.

The only thing is he is still scared of hands, Not when I have food but when I would put my hand anywhere near him.
I spend the day at work but spend every other part of the day with his cage next to me constantly and spend all weekend with him.

He has absolute freedom to roam around the house as the cage is never locked I let him go in when he wants to apart from bedtime

I am just wondering if anyone would have any tips for me on how I could work on making him feel more comfortable with hands as this is my only concern

Many thanks

Rhy
sanjays mummi

Re: IRN Scared Of Hands

Post by sanjays mummi »

My 7 yr old is the same, she was aviary hatched and parent reared, the only time I can touch her is when she crouches and clucks, then I can stroke her and scritch the back of her neck, so it's only been the last few years she has allowed me to do this. I personally, think it stems from when she was taken out of the aviary, human hands grabbing her, but, I just leave touching her until she displays and allows touching. I accept she may never step up, but I also respect her wishes, I never get bitten, otherwise, she responds to my voice, plays games with me, and is a dear little friend, what more could I ask? :-bd
rhyrhy312

IRN Scared Of Hands

Post by rhyrhy312 »

Yes the owners I had purchased him from had put on gloves and grabbed him every time they wanted to get him out of the cage
I am guessing this could have a lot to do with it

I will continue to let him approach me at his own pace and see how it goes

Thanks!

:D
sanjays mummi

Re: IRN Scared Of Hands

Post by sanjays mummi »

You're welcome, gloves and grabbing are the worst, they must be terrifying for a bird. I have allowed my bird to develop at her own pace in her own time, respect is a two way thing. :-bd