At long last......

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

pinkdevil

At long last......

Post by pinkdevil »

My Rainbow Lories have finally got their act together and decided to breed. :D

There are 2 eggs in the nest, they are just over a week old.

I tried my hand at candling this morning and I think from what I have seen in pictures, that they are both fertile. Not quite sure as I have never done it before.
But I see what I understand to be veins, so I am now getting excited. :)

This is the couples first time as "husband and wife" and the hens' first time at breeding so I was not expecting anything to come of the eggs. That and the terrible cold winter weather we are having at the moment. It is FREEZING here. A graziers warning has been issued for the area and super cold "artic" type winds are predicted. :roll:

So I am hoping that mum can pull off all her hard work and have a success at hatching. :)

I have been waiting for Rainbows to breed for 2 years now. Didn't think it was ever going to happen. lol :lol: :lol:

8)
threio

Post by threio »

1st, Threio wants to see the Eggs...LOL
2nd, Winter weather?

You are in Australia? Excuse my ignorance let me see if I can Google NW Aussie country before I put my foot in my mouth!

Okay after cheating to convert from C-F, so its about 30-50 degrees...LOL..stupid Americans :)

ANyway I am curious to see the eggs..LOL
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol yes I am an Australian :D :D

The weather here would freeze the b***s of a brass monkey, too cold for this sheila, got my winter woollie clobber on of tracky dax and uggies.....
Translation in NORMAL language....Very cold here, this girl not used to cold weather and is wearing tracksuit pants and Ugg boots to keep warm. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Us Aussies have a lingo all of our own...bit of a weird bunch we are :)

At the moment temps have been around -2 °C to out top temp for today is about 8 °C, will a very cold wind chill factor. Not as cold as some parts of the world but FREEZING for this little duck! :P I am originally from Queensland where the winter and general weather is much nicer and warmer lol.

I will take a pic of her eggs in a few days or so. Hopefully when the weather is a bit warmer.

8)
Crazyratwoman

Post by Crazyratwoman »

lol I know exactly what you mean!!!! Altho its not that cold here on the coast, apparently it was snowing in Armidale the other day and hells bells don't we know it! the wind is icy cold and i feel like bringing all my aviary birdies inside in front of the heater!!!!

(also has the uggies and trackie dax on!)
Petey - IRN

Not enough room for my other fids!!!!
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

well just to rub it in.... its north-east England and weve had storms and rain for the past two days (normal lol) BUT TODAY!! nice and sunny and hot :D

sorry guys ^^ haha
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sorry..............did you say something ryelle?????????????

LOLOL :lol: :lol: :P
TD

Post by TD »

haha, just wait till our summer comes Pinkdevil, we'll have the last laugh! :lol: It is freezing here in southern Victoria as well!

That's great news about your Lories! I want to get a mate for mine, but I am going to get a DNA test done first to see what gender it is.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Yeah it get REAL warm here TD. A different heat to what I am used to when I used to live in QLD.

Shame your in VIC. I have a spare male Rainbow for sale, DNA male, of breeding age (around 2.5 years old), sister to the hen that is on eggs. I was going to keep him and find him a mate but have decided to sell him instead.

8)
TD

Post by TD »

Bugger! Oh well, I'll get a friend for mine one day! I originally had another lory, but it was only after I released it into the aviary that I realised it had been trapped from the wild and sold to me. I knew there was something odd about the bloke who sold it to me, but I was inexperienced I guess. I did the right thing and released it into the wild again and I know it is living happily with the thousands of wild ones we get around here. And as for the guy who sold it to me, well I still have his details, so I am thinking about getting the RSPCA to check on him. I can't stand illegal poaching!!