New IRN mom

Moderator: Mods

Jillbeme65

New IRN mom

Post by Jillbeme65 »

Recently I purchased a 2 yr old IRN. I must say he is a great talker but very anti social when it comes to me picking him up. The whole time I try holding him his wings are spread or he is flying off. His wings are clipped so he can't fly far. He loves his cage he has a play center on top of it where he spends most of his day.
I am trying to get him to associate with me and my husband but he is only social from his cage. Any ideas.
Pallas

Re: New IRN mom

Post by Pallas »

It may take a while for your fid to adjust to its (I'm going to say "he" for the sake of my convenience) new home and parents, but he'll eventually get there. I suggest starting things slow - sit close to his cage and read out loud softly with the cage door open, but don't force or coax him out. Let him wander naturally if he wants to. This lets him get used to your presence and lets him know that you're not a threat when present.

Maybe a week or so after this - or after he is visible comfortable around you (signs of comfort include puffing up, preening, vocalizing, moving around the cage - you can try putting your hand in his cage with a treat (millet is a safe bet since so many birds like it, but limit the amount you give because it is fatty) and see if he comes to retrieve it. He might even naturally step up onto your hand to get to the treat.

Essentially, you want to build trust during the first few weeks and then you can try to get him to step up onto your finger. There are a couple of ways to do this, and I'm only familiar with clicker training and there is a lot of reading material online on how to clicker-train a parrot to step up. Patience and thick skin are key - it may be frustrating when you don't see immediate results and some birds require more patience than others, but positive results are so rewarding. Good luck!