I Need real help In taming my Bird

Moderator: Mods

JadenMathias

I Need real help In taming my Bird

Post by JadenMathias »

Okay before I begin I am quiet new here and New to Having an Indian ringneck as a Pet,

I bought Rio last friday so it has been a little more than a week of him being with us.
We got Him a wide cage (Not that tall) but he is small in size so the cage is perfect,
He has his ring and it is quiet bold so he is around 2 Years Old,

but the little guy just wont calm down, I tried many tips Online on how to get him to calm down and not freak out when I am even 5 meters near him,
If I come close to the cage he will just start fluttering around And I move back cause he might hurt himself, in the past week he escaped the cage twice,
after his first attempt we clipped his wings, He eats properly his poop is dry so he is quiet healthy, One thing that I do is sit down at the corner of my room at a distance in which he remains calm and just observe him (without direct eye contact) and What he does is rest and get Up and tries to break out of the cage and after trying for 10mins he sleeps again and repeats the cycle, I try showing him Grapes (He love grapes) on my hand and bring it closer but he just freaks out still and Starts fluttering,

In conclusion I cant get close to the cage, without him freaking out and fluttering and I cant hand feed him and He constantly tries to escape...

Thanks for reading this post and Please help me with this issue
Lunax

Re: I Need real help In taming my Bird

Post by Lunax »

Hi! welcome to the forum! I'm quite new myself actually, i started 3 weeks ago which is when i got my indian ringneck off a place of neglect. he is my first bird in 10 years and im 14! Anyway i've learnt a lot so far. What you will notice is that a lot of people counter act what others say by saying the complete opposite for example: should i clip my birds wings? (this is a controversial topic but in my opinion it helps your bird from harm) The first 20 minutes of my bird being home he fluttered and thrashed in his cage so hard he got a bloody feather, now i learnt a couple things im hoping i can pass on to you to make your life a bit easier:
1) taming a bird needs patience mine isn't even tamed yet but is still getting used to me. take it a couple days-weeks time so he can settle in the new environment.
2) pretend the bird isn't there, so don't interact with it too much, he/she needs to know your routine and such (but that doesn't mean you can't interact with it from afar! you of course have to feed the bird!) Now, i know the bird will thrash when u feed it. my bird is also like this and its normal. try to feed your bird same time everyday but not by hand. let it know you handle the food and it will calm down over time.

3) i never had an escapee my bird just likes to climb. but for escapees i would recommend purchasing a better cage with thicker bars or more bars that aren't as thick. your bird needs lots of exercise and needs to move around a TON. maybe it wants to exercise its wings more often hence the reason of escape. Also! make sure you have plenty of toys your bird can play with but do not over crowd the cage or spoil the bird.

4) my dad is a doctor and told me that having your bird sleep in the same room as you do can be a huge health hazard to you AND the bird. there is a chemical in their feathers that could result in pneumonia so avoid that. birds need to sleep in complete darkness so i cover the cage with a dark colored blanket or towel and leave my bird outside my room.

the problem i realised i was doing recently is that im rushing things with my parrot. that is not a good way to start. your bird will feel intimidated and would be aggressive against you.

Hope i helped! thanks for sharing :)
JadenMathias

Post by JadenMathias »

Heyy Thanks Lunax for Your reply and advice!, Cool to know your 14 (Cause Im 14 too), Rio doesnt Play with his toys for some reason, And a Similar situation happened with me In the first few days with the bird.. He started trashing around his cage and some how got a cut near his neck at the back, which made me panic, but he has healed from that now, also Thanks for your advice.. I keep my bird in the hall during night and, In the Master bedroom during the day, (During night we have the AC on in the master bedroom), Is changing his cage position alright?
Lunax

Post by Lunax »

JadenMathias wrote:Heyy Thanks Lunax for Your reply and advice!, Cool to know your 14 (Cause Im 14 too), Rio doesnt Play with his toys for some reason, And a Similar situation happened with me In the first few days with the bird.. He started trashing around his cage and some how got a cut near his neck at the back, which made me panic, but he has healed from that now, also Thanks for your advice.. I keep my bird in the hall during night and, In the Master bedroom during the day, (During night we have the AC on in the master bedroom), Is changing his cage position alright?
Hiya! my bird didn't even know how to PLAY with toys at all when i got him! he would just avoid it completely.. almost scared of it. what i did to resolve that issue was take them out of the cage and pretend to be having the time of your life with them. (i know it sounds crazy but hear me out) if you bird notices ur having fun.. he/she will attempt to imitate you and end up having lots of fun. its all just patience really. Also changing the cage position is completely normal. as long as you cover the birds cage with a dark colored cloth at night THEN changing the position so it will just think you moving the cage around.Then in the morning you can move the bird back in the normal spot then take off the cloth ( remember to not cover your birds cage completely or he/she cant breathe!) let me know if you need anything else *BTW i get all my information online, there are so many different sites that can really help your journey along the way i would recommend a youtuber called Parrot Whisperer he is really good!)
JadenMathias

Post by JadenMathias »

Lunax wrote:
JadenMathias wrote:Heyy Thanks Lunax for Your reply and advice!, Cool to know your 14 (Cause Im 14 too), Rio doesnt Play with his toys for some reason, And a Similar situation happened with me In the first few days with the bird.. He started trashing around his cage and some how got a cut near his neck at the back, which made me panic, but he has healed from that now, also Thanks for your advice.. I keep my bird in the hall during night and, In the Master bedroom during the day, (During night we have the AC on in the master bedroom), Is changing his cage position alright?
Hiya! my bird didn't even know how to PLAY with toys at all when i got him! he would just avoid it completely.. almost scared of it. what i did to resolve that issue was take them out of the cage and pretend to be having the time of your life with them. (i know it sounds crazy but hear me out) if you bird notices ur having fun.. he/she will attempt to imitate you and end up having lots of fun. its all just patience really. Also changing the cage position is completely normal. as long as you cover the birds cage with a dark colored cloth at night THEN changing the position so it will just think you moving the cage around.Then in the morning you can move the bird back in the normal spot then take off the cloth ( remember to not cover your birds cage completely or he/she cant breathe!) let me know if you need anything else *BTW i get all my information online, there are so many different sites that can really help your journey along the way i would recommend a youtuber called Parrot Whisperer he is really good!)
Thanks for your repy again! I will try to see if the toy trick would work, I will definitely check out Parrot Whisperer .. Thanks alot again
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Just a point about poops, if they are on pellets it should be a brownish colour and white centre but if on seeds dark green and both should be moist. The first poop of the day is the biggest but during the day there will be several smaller poops. It is good you are helping each other.
JadenMathias

Post by JadenMathias »

AJPeter wrote:Just a point about poops, if they are on pellets it should be a brownish colour and white centre but if on seeds dark green and both should be moist. The first poop of the day is the biggest but during the day there will be several smaller poops. It is good you are helping each other.
Hey thanks for your reply, I give him seeds and His poop is just moist but it is white with a Dark green centre is that fine?
JadenMathias

Post by JadenMathias »

JadenMathias wrote:
Lunax wrote:
Thanks for your repy again! I will try to see if the toy trick would work, I will definitely check out Parrot Whisperer .. Thanks alot again
Wanted To get Back with you again, My bird doesnt seem to make any sound he Just keeps quiet, do you experience the same? He only makes this weird sound which sounds like Pulling a Velcro Strap and random moments,
Lunax

Post by Lunax »

JadenMathias wrote:
JadenMathias wrote:
Lunax wrote: Hiya! my bird didn't even know how to PLAY with toys at all when i got him! he would just avoid it completely.. almost scared of it. what i did to resolve that issue was take them out of the cage and pretend to be having the time of your life with them. (i know it sounds crazy but hear me out) if you bird notices ur having fun.. he/she will attempt to imitate you and end up having lots of fun. its all just patience really. Also changing the cage position is completely normal. as long as you cover the birds cage with a dark colored cloth at night THEN changing the position so it will just think you moving the cage around.Then in the morning you can move the bird back in the normal spot then take off the cloth ( remember to not cover your birds cage completely or he/she cant breathe!) let me know if you need anything else *BTW i get all my information online, there are so many different sites that can really help your journey along the way i would recommend a youtuber called Parrot Whisperer he is really good!)
Wanted To get Back with you again, My bird doesnt seem to make any sound he Just keeps quiet, do you experience the same? He only makes this weird sound which sounds like Pulling a Velcro Strap and random moments,
sorry for the late reply! my bird was quiet for a quite some time but vocalizes and calls for me in the morning. the 'velcro sound' is actually him showing you he is content. he is grinding his beak, this is what parrots do to ensure good hygiene!
JadenMathias

Post by JadenMathias »

Lunax wrote:
JadenMathias wrote:
JadenMathias wrote: Thanks for your repy again! I will try to see if the toy trick would work, I will definitely check out Parrot Whisperer .. Thanks alot again
sorry for the late reply! my bird was quiet for a quite some time but vocalizes and calls for me in the morning. the 'velcro sound' is actually him showing you he is content. he is grinding his beak, this is what parrots do to ensure good hygiene!
Oh wow Never Knew that!, well Its week 3 and he Has escaped a total of 4 times, I recorded it the 4th time and noticed that He Was somehow was able to Pull Up the cage door (Smart little chap) so we Made the door Part of the cage to face the Wall.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Take a look at the Liberta Voyager 2nd edition. It has a sturdy lock And a childproof lock, it has plenty of space too.
Lunax

Post by Lunax »

sanjays mummi wrote:Take a look at the Liberta Voyager 2nd edition. It has a sturdy lock And a childproof lock, it has plenty of space too.
its very expensive thats my issue.. i would totally buy it if i could afford it
JadenMathias

Post by JadenMathias »

Lunax wrote:
sanjays mummi wrote:Take a look at the Liberta Voyager 2nd edition. It has a sturdy lock And a childproof lock, it has plenty of space too.
Yep Nowadays Cages are ridiculously expensive, BTW I tried you trick On trying to Make my bird play with its toy but it doesn't seem to work (Its a bell toy) also Its the 4th Week and It hasn't vocalised at all (Its a bit worry some) And what snacks works On your bird? Online sources give different answers for that! [He seems to like grapes but Only eats the seeds inside and that's basically wasting the grapes (Grapes are Expensive In Dubai) ]
Lunax

Post by Lunax »

JadenMathias wrote:
Lunax wrote:
Yep Nowadays Cages are ridiculously expensive, BTW I tried you trick On trying to Make my bird play with its toy but it doesn't seem to work (Its a bell toy) also Its the 4th Week and It hasn't vocalised at all (Its a bit worry some) And what snacks works On your bird? Online sources give different answers for that! [He seems to like grapes but Only eats the seeds inside and that's basically wasting the grapes (Grapes are Expensive In Dubai) ]
aah! we have so much in common hah! i live in Qatar so both in the middle east! Ok, my bird doesn't play with the bell but when he swings on it, the bell starts making sounds so he does that a lot. give him time. Strange how your bird isn't vocalizing, i think you should take him to the vet for a check up (your bird will hate you for it, we took him and he wouldn't stop squaking i felt terrible!) but its ok. Keep experimenting with fruit and veggies, dont only give him grapes if he isn't into them. My bird's favorites so far are cherries and cucumbers my bird doesn't even hesitate when i look at him when eating those foods. Every fruit season, try giving your bird a variety of fruits and veggies! look up some foods that are harmful and healthy for your bird and go crazy! spoil em!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

They are seed eaters, so yes, they Do bore through grapes to extract the seed, the seeds contain a substance which prevents and stops feather mutilation.
I found my Liberta Voyager on line, brand new, and reduced in price because of Black Friday, but your bird needs the biggest cage you can afford, with sturdy lock. The size of the cage is imperative, they need to be able to stretch their wings, and have ample space for their tail, otherwise the tail starts to bend upwards. You might have to save up for a decent cage, and look for a good quality bargain. Btw, my cage came with 3 free toys from Liberta. They often don't play with toys until they're older, but they don't "waste" food, think fresh, think seedy,
JadenMathias

Post by JadenMathias »

sanjays mummi wrote:They are seed eaters, so yes, they Do bore through grapes to extract the seed, the seeds contain a substance which prevents and stops feather mutilation.
I found my Liberta Voyager on line, brand new, and reduced in price because of Black Friday, but your bird needs the biggest cage you can afford, with sturdy lock. The size of the cage is imperative, they need to be able to stretch their wings, and have ample space for their tail, otherwise the tail starts to bend upwards. You might have to save up for a decent cage, and look for a good quality bargain. Btw, my cage came with 3 free toys from Liberta. They often don't play with toys until they're older, but they don't "waste" food, think fresh, think seedy,
Thanks! My Birds not very Big in size and has more than enough space for stretching his wings and His Tail doesn't come any where near his cage bars :)
JadenMathias

Post by JadenMathias »

Lunax wrote:
JadenMathias wrote:
Lunax wrote: its very expensive thats my issue.. i would totally buy it if i could afford it
aah! we have so much in common hah! i live in Qatar so both in the middle east! Ok, my bird doesn't play with the bell but when he swings on it, the bell starts making sounds so he does that a lot. give him time. Strange how your bird isn't vocalizing, i think you should take him to the vet for a check up (your bird will hate you for it, we took him and he wouldn't stop squaking i felt terrible!) but its ok. Keep experimenting with fruit and veggies, dont only give him grapes if he isn't into them. My bird's favorites so far are cherries and cucumbers my bird doesn't even hesitate when i look at him when eating those foods. Every fruit season, try giving your bird a variety of fruits and veggies! look up some foods that are harmful and healthy for your bird and go crazy! spoil em!
Well If The bird does Get really upset if you take him to the vet, I will wait for some more time to see if he vocalizes... Oh and he Loves Baths! Nice to know How common we both are :)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

So, am I to understand, that rather than buy a better cage he cannot escape from, you Clipped his wings?,