Help! My Indianringneck is not getting along with his new mate indian ringneck.

Moderator: Mods

Saniya

Help! My Indianringneck is not getting along with his new mate indian ringneck.

Post by Saniya »

Hello everyone,

I'm a little worried about my baby charlie.. he is 1 year old. I resqued him when he was 2 weeks and left to death by the breeder bcs couldnt get him on handfeeding. He refused to eat.
Well luckily I found out that he was too weak and missing his parents and was suffering from 3 kind of infections.
I got him home.. we went to vet.. he was nights away at vet.. :( and the only thing I wanted was to keep him alive and healthy.
After few days when he came back he was still little weak but as the vet said he was infection free now and I had to hand feed him for few more weeks. I handfed him everyday and took good care of him. I have never been so attatched to any of my pets before. DONT KNOW maybe Its like the soul of charlie.. I know him much longer thn now.
Because his weakness there was a delay for his feathers and he didnt know how to eat him self. I learned him this everyday picking seeds and pellets from the ground and show him that its food.
Well it took alot of energy but only thing i wanted was him to be healthy.
Now the problem is because of that last year so much attatchment with me I thought let me get another Indianring neck and because charlie is a male i could get male or female any.
Im not into buying so I searched if I could resque another indian ringneck which needs more help thn normal ringnecks.

I got this female now almost 8 weeks. She has a problem with her leg. I got her to vet check and everything was normal just that she might never get enough feathers on her head and she was born the way with her leg.

I have done everything possible. Seprate cages.. diff rooms.. treats when playtime together. But this new one (lisa) scares away my charlie. Now charlie has never seen any bird before so he is kind of confused/scared and curious.
Bcs its been 3 weeks and they dnt fight while playtime outside I have put them in villa cage. Really big cage.. its actually made for macaws and amzons but I wanted them to have the biggest cage possible. Enough toys and alot of mama around during the day.

They are not fighting but they are also not friends. Charlie is always scared and sits so sad on a perch and she scares him away if he is on his fav perch. I love them both alot. But charlie he calls me all the time..( he knows my name btw.. he talks alot all day long.) When she has pushed him away or stealing his corner. Etc etc it cant end. They have seprate night cages so they sleep well.. but again Im so worried about charlie he isnt eating well anymore and is screaming my name all day long if I go out of the room or toilet.. its like charlie is a guman baby who thinks his mom is leaving him alone. :(
I cant sleep anymore Im so worried about my baby.. but this way he will never get any feather friend. I have to push it to have a friend beside just me.. I dont want him to be alone when im out for diners or having fun with my friends.. which I cant anymore bcs we both are so attatched to each other.
I want some advice.. :( should I keep Lisa or make sure she gets a good home too? But im a human i cant be 24 7 with charlie he needs a friend..
Its not that she is bossy.. she is just a little dominant.. and charlie is a scared boy.. they have diffrent personalities.. when charlie was her age he was scared of toys aswell and lisa.. she chews on all toys and is very confident.
What should I do!! Help mee please :(
sanjays mummi

Re: Help! My Indianringneck is not getting along with his new mate indian ringneck.

Post by sanjays mummi »

At their ages you cannot be 100% sure of their sex, without DNA testing, I only have one bird, I've had Ms Sanjay seven years, since she was eight Weeks. And I live alone. I have never felt the need to give her a companion. Your first bird had a bad start, a lot of trauma,and hasn't really had an opportunity to bond with you properly, when in comes an older uber confident bird, one who is dominant, and, as in nature, it senses your birds frailty and takes advantage. You have two alternatives, either re home the latest one, and devote yourself to the first, Or let them get on with it and find their own level. We are not talking about humans, children in feathered clothes, and as much as I adore my bird, I don't treat her as if she is one of the grandkids.
The IRN as a species, is perfectly ok with it's own company, when I go out I leave the radio or TV on, I let her know when I'm going out, and make a point of saying hello as soon as I'm back. Your problem, the way I see it, was that you were too quick in getting a second bird.
Saniya

Re: Help! My Indianringneck is not getting along with his new mate indian ringneck.

Post by Saniya »

Hai.. thanks for ur reply sanjays mom..

They both are dna tested.. charlie is a male and lisa is a female..
Charlie is 1 year old now and the reason I got another bird is He wont eat if im not home.. I have many times that I go out for something and when I come back charlie hasnt touched any food or water. Thats when I thought I should get him a compinion.
Many people advised me to get another one as soon as possible because he is young and will be friends with her or him.

Thing is he is soo attatched with me that he keeps an eye on me.. if i go to toilet he comes and sits on the other corner of the cage to see where Im going. If i pick up my bag he starts screaming bcs he knows im leaving . This all made me so sad that I had stayed home for 1 year and avoided my friends and family bcs I felt bad for charlie..( i know i shouldnt have done this).

Im little hopeless now.. :(
Will things be normal with charlie if i send lisa back?

I hope they get along soon so that little lisa can stay with us.. but if they wont then I have no option left then sending Lisa back.

Thanks for ur reply. :)

Saniya
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Birds don't eat All the time, they eat brekkie, graze until evening, then really stuff themselves just before settling down for the night, and a healthy bird won't starve itself. If you wanted a pair, you should have bought a bonded pair, and listening to others isn't always a good idea.
Ms Sanjay and I are bezzie mates, I get curious calls when I'm in another room, and body language telling me what she wants, I would never leave her overnight etc, but I have always let my pets fit their lives around mine, not vice versa, and I've never had a problem, as long as you keep to a certain routine, your bird will be fine, ok, so maybe you have an appointment that clashes with her time out, you either give her time out earlier, or after you get back, that's fine, she's flexible, what you don't want is to tie yourself up in knots. All these people telling you to get another!, didn't anyone bother to consult Charlie?, I know what Ms Sanjay would do to a newcomer, and it wouldn't be very pretty at all!
Saniya

Post by Saniya »

Heey.. thanks for ur reply.

Who knows charlie better thn me! No one I guess!! I did this for him ofcourse so that he is not the one who is alone. Im pregnant and soon he will have human sibling which will take most of my time.
I resqued charlie!! I DIDNT BUY HIM! It wasnt even sure if he was going to make it.. so another bird with a bird from which you are not if he is going to make it.. no
t a really good idea.. Charlie was on good health when he got around 8 months old. He finally learned eating him self and wasnt much underweight anymore. So yes if I would have bought him I would have bought 2.

:)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Well, congratulations, Charlie is to have his own flock.
Spanna

Post by Spanna »

Hi, I totally understand how you feel and a few tears rolled down my face while reading your posts. It's now been about a year since you posted this. Did you keep both birds and how did you overcome the problem. Your response is very much appreciated.
Saniya

Post by Saniya »

Hey Spanna,

I got little cry too after reading my old post.. oh what was that a hard time for charlie and me.

I had to send lisa back to another good home.. i know them and i hear alot of lisa.. she is fine. And still bossy lol.. charlie just couldnt get along with her.. he is too humble to bite or snatch.. which is weird for a bird to be humble.. but he is much confident and better now.. I couldnt believe the weighing machine.. charlie is about 122 grams now.. he was always underweight and now perfect weight.

Unfortunately he couldn't get any human sibling but we are over it now and things are so much better..

I do leave him alone for a couple of hours a day.. it was not his fault that he wasnt confident.. it was me!! I was too worried and never let him alone because of the fear that had caught me in the beginning when i got him to lose him.. I now also know what losing a baby is..I had a miscarriage..but thankgod i had Charlie to distract me to positive things in life.

Pets are precious..

Have a great day