My male IRN has started attacking his mate!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ShirlMel

My male IRN has started attacking his mate!

Post by ShirlMel »

I have 2 Indian Ring Necks - a male and a female. When they came to me they were very loving and mated quite regularly at the end of last year. they loved being together and there were never any problems.

However, my female got sick a few weeks ago and I took her to the vet. Her breathing was very laboured and she was losing loads of feathers - especially around her face and beak. The vet gave me antibiotics for her breathing and drops for parasites. I had to separate the birds to ensure that only she was eating the grapes with the antibiotics in. She has now finished the antibiotics and I have tried to put the birds back together. I tried initially to let them out of their separate cages together but Jasper (male) just swooped down on her and started attacking her. He actually made one of her feet bleed. I have tried once more to let them out together but he just attacks her every time.

HELP!

I just don't know what to do.
Thanks
sanjays mummi

Re: My male IRN has started attacking his mate!

Post by sanjays mummi »

He knows she is still weak, in nature, the strong will always attack the weak. Keep them separate until she is 100% fit.