Horrible Day!!!!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Marksmouse

Horrible Day!!!!

Post by Marksmouse »

Hello, I am new to this site and new to Indian Ring Necks...I love my new bird so much. His name is Corey and he is nine years old. I've had him about 2 weeks. His former owners never handled him or let him out. He is so wild that I can't handle him at all and today was a horrible day....after about a week of easing him into it, I let him out of his cage to sit on top. I can't touch him, so the the cage top slides open and that was how i was able to let him out. He got spooked, took off flying and hit my kitchen window hard enough to make his left feathers bleed a little at the top near his shoulder. I had to catch him and get him back into his cage and he screeched and bit me the whole way. I am mortified and I've been crying all day. I don't have money for a vet and the vet is an 8 hour drive away. he has been very quiet, but has been eating and drinking since. He does vocalize to my husband, but has nothing to say to me. He did not throw up...and now I am super worried about him and I think he hates my guts. This all happened about noon, and now I can't sleep. I am heart broken. What do I do now to repair all the damage I did today????
sanjays mummi

Re: Horrible Day!!!!

Post by sanjays mummi »

I've only just read this, sorry for the delay.
A similar thing happened to me, Sanjay escaped from his nursery cage, he was 9 Weeks, and a semi feral aviary hatched chickster..
I came home from a doctors appointment to find him in my kitchen, and had to towel him, He squawked like the dickens and bit my thumb, blood everywhere.
I put him back in his cage, even though he wrapped all four toes of each foot around the door jambs, covered him and let him rest and cool his heels.
That was seven years ago, and he didn't bear any grudge, animals don't, it's a human trait.
Now he is my very affectionate bezzie mate.
A graze can be treated with a drop of salt water, use a squirty bottle and aim directly, so it doesn't go in the eyes or face.