Suddenly scared Feathers

Moderator: Mods

feathers

Suddenly scared Feathers

Post by feathers »

Hi all
We recently (2 weeks) brought our new little lady Feathers home. She was hand reared and about 12 weeks old when we bought her. She was friendly - stepped on to your finger and nibbled a bit. A few days ago, i had bought her a new seed block for her cage and tried to put it in and she went berserk squawking. Obviously I took it straight out. For the last 3 days she runs away from our hands and won't even take a treat from us. I'm assuming the two things are related and we are slowly trying to cajole her out of this "mood". Any advice would be most appreciated as we are new to bird owning and don't want to scare her further, but also we don't want to make the situation worse by giving her treats for the wrong behaviour. TIA

ps Happy Christmas
sanjays mummi

Re: Suddenly scared Feathers

Post by sanjays mummi »

Feathers behaviour is quite common, Sanjay, although much older, is often deeply suspicious of anything new or different, he approaches them head on one side with that "aye aye?" expression, which is quite comical.
If it's food related that's a different matter entirely!. Quite honestly, the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" holds true, I didn't remove things which he reacted to, I let him suss them out for himself, and in order for Feathers to trust you, you should continue to offer her treats whilst making soothing noises and slow gestures, she will come out of this phase, you could try something else which is different, a seed bar, or fruit kabob, and see how she reacts.Patience is needed, with handling, this needs to be re established asap, only daily interaction will get her back to bonding with you,
feathers

Post by feathers »

Thanks for the quick reply
It was a seed bar I was trying to put in her cage -- when she went ballistic. Should I try again do you think?
She has come back to taking a nut from between the bars of her cage, but still won't come anywhere near my hand inside the cage. I talk to her a lot and kissy noises (yes I'm besotted :P ) Lots of soothing talk too.
I'm worried about timing - this is prime bonding age and one seed bar seems to have put us weeks backwards.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Leave the seed bar somewhere outside her cage, where she can see it, and realise it isn't going to gobble her up, when she realises it's inanimate, and foody, she may approach it warily at first, then give it a peck, she will realise your intentions are always good, given time.
feathers

Post by feathers »

OK will do ty

Now how do we get her back to step up?
I spent 2 separate half hours today sitting by her cage with a treat in my hand (tried different ones) and she spent the entire time gripping on to the back top corner of her cage. I was baby talking etc. Every time I walk past I chat soothingly.
It has now been 4 days without handling her. Am I taking this too slowly considering she has gone backwards such a long way?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

No, you need to take it slowly, Sanjay doesn't step up at all, but he was aviary hatched and parent reared, and semi feral. Slow is good, anything sudden or if you try and force her, you will undo any progress you may have made thus far.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

My Alex hen won't step up onto my hand unless she wants to and if l want to move her l use an old perch and she readily climbs up onto that.

They like sharing meal times so to boost her confidence and trust eat your meals in front of or by her cage, as she shows interest you could offer her a morsel and work from there.
Lady-E

Post by Lady-E »

May I suggest 1 thing-everything new you add to your birds cage add it when he/she's out. I learned that from y own bird. We got him a rope and when we tried putting it in cage while he was in it he went crazy so we stopped. Later when he was out we put it in and at first he was suspicious of it but soon enough he started climbing on it, foraging it, playing on it etc. As for seed blocks some say they aren't very good for our birds, better use millet bars only and second mine has one in his cage too...it's been there for very long time as he doesn't eat it much anyway but all of a sudden he starts attacking it really hard, than he starts head bobbing around it so I don't get his feelings about it too well lol but anyway even long time in his cage he still attacks it sometimes out of the blue
feathers

Post by feathers »

Thank you all for your comments
She ate a nut while sitting on top of my head today - so I guess that is progress :D
I guess I was astounded at how quickly she went backwards in her training - I feel like a failed bird owner :cry:
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Goodness! Yours not a "failed bird owner" by any stretch of the imagination, a novice maybe, millet is more of a treat, too much can cause health problems, ate a nut on your head?, I hope you wore a shower cap! b-(
Lady-E

Post by Lady-E »

Yeah I meant millet as a treat occasionally instead of those seed blocks who also, at least those that are sold here, are considered treat so if that's what that block was for. Anything I put in cage of mine if it isn't a fruit or bowl with it he will go crazy lol so we just place it in there when he's out so he doesn't panic, he might fight it for a while but won't panic when it's in at least and won't hurt himself
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

When they sit on your shoulder and preen themselves it is a great honour, and eating a nut on your hear is another honour, it shows they trust you. I give Billie a millet spray twice a week as a consolation when l go out shopping or to church. You must never rush the inter-reaction between you, the slower the better let them make the first move they want to be friends.