Please help! Very noisy bird.

Moderator: Mods

IRNgwen

Please help! Very noisy bird.

Post by IRNgwen »

Hi. We are new to the site and has had our IRNgwen gwen for over a year now. She is rather tame (not too fussed on hands) but will climb on arms, shoulders, back. We have taught her to ring a bell for food when in cage. She will spin on demand and whistle when asked. I think we are doing rather well considering she is our first ever pet as a couple :) our problem is she has become very noisy, she won't stop (I would say shouting) in her cage so we wait till she is quiet to get her out but then when she is out she is even louder. She will find somewhere high in the room and just scream. We are struggling and my partner is finding it very hard with the noise. What can we do? Is there anything wrong?
Carys and Matt :)
Attachments
received_10153990486027847.jpeg
received_10154159565902847.jpeg
received_10157116837150374.jpeg
sanjays mummi

Re: Please help! Very noisy bird.

Post by sanjays mummi »

It is always a good idea to research a species before purchase. IRN's can be extremely vocal, it's something people either love or hate, but rarely tolerate. Personally I love Sanjay calling, singing, or generally chatting. Love the pics! :-bd
IRNgwen

Post by IRNgwen »

Yes we researched a lot before we had her. This just seems out of character for her. Thanks, we love taking her out in the summer :)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Where is the castle in the background? Looks like Wales?, I live in the UK.
IRNgwen

Post by IRNgwen »

Yes it's caerphilly in south Wales. Near cardiff :)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

We were stationed at Crickhowell in the sixties, and celebrated my 21st at the Top Rank club in Cardiff, b-(
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

If I could come in?
My Hen when she was about 5 and new to me would scream and scream until l took the unconventional approach by blowing a whistle back and that shut her up, but l learnt later she was calling for a mate, but l rather regret my action because she became too quiet and only in the past year has she opened up and started to call again. Try and distract her. If you can leave the room until she stops it will help her understand that screaming is not acceptable. Make sure she gets 12 to 14 hours of sleep a night, without distractions. I have to sit watching TV with headphones in the dark just to please my hen.