Ive just adopted and Indian Ringneck

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Lola

Ive just adopted and Indian Ringneck

Post by Lola »

Hi there

Ive just adopted an Indian Ringneck parrot that was found as a stray at ended up at the RSPCA. I just have a few questions about how to handle him/her etc. Im assuming she is a girl because she is beautiful and doesnt appear to have the ring around her neck. She is a beautiful yellow colour similar to those on the baby link for this site. The RSPCA were unsure of her sex... i have named her Lola. She is incredible she can wolf whistle in 4 different tones, she can talk saying hello, what are you doing etc.. she even impersonates the sounds of crying puppies (i assume she picked this up at the RSPCA). She can be hand fed but if ur hand is bare she tries to bite u.. i was reading the link about bluffing and that seems to be what shes doing.. how do i go about taming her i am determined to do it! do they normally not like toys? she loves pine cones etc but i bought a huge rope swing an she doesnt seem to like it that much she wont touch it.... any tips would be great ive usually only owned cockatiels and peach faces.
Any help would be much appreciated!
thankyou :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Awww, congratulations on giving this little one a new home :) I guess it would depend on lolas age as if a girl or boy.

With the biting or bluffing. I would work slowly as you don't know lolas history. Maybe s/he has a bad experience with bare hands or maybe not handled as much. Try using lots of food rewards and maybe let lola come to you instead of trying to go to lola. If so, make the treat a big piece so lola will (hopefully) be focused on the yummy treat and not go for you.
My aviary IRN will take sunflower seed and treats from my hand but if I leave my hand there once the treat is taken, he will take a chunk out of me. I have been slowly working on him and he isn't quite as bad. Still got a long way to go though :)

I have found that all my ringies love toys. Maybe lola has not had toys before or had a bad experience with them. I think over a few days or weeks lola will get used to and probably start to play with the rope swing. You could try something that worked for me. Place the toy on the outside of the cage, either on the side or on top, but make sure lola has somewhere where s/he can move away from it without feeling afraid or threatened. Then in her/his own time you will most likely find that lola will start to accept it. Once lola is at ease then you could try putting it in the cage. :) I find that ringies love wooden toys, so any bird safe wooden toys would be good to. :)

Seems like lola really enjoys the pine cones, just make sure they are free from pesticides etc. :)

Sounds like lola is on his/her way to a happy, loving home. Well done.

:)
bec

Post by bec »

my new baby General is totaly scared of toys i dont think he knows what they are for but he is starting to get curious still nervous of them but he is starting to test them out
how long have you had lola?
Lola

Post by Lola »

thankyou everyone for your great tips.. ill get onto them straight away... ummm i would of had Lola for almost 2 months now..... ive come to find her favourite foods are corn, carrots, guava and grapes oh an sunflower seeds... i will try an get a photo of her so everyone can see... from looking up information on the net i think she may be a lutino mutation...
thanks again for the tips i cant wait to hear more stories about other peoples birds... :)
bec

Post by bec »

havent tried guava yet but all the other things that you said mine love toothey also love spinach & brocoli
looking forward to pics of lola :D :D