anyone interested in frogs??

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

pinkdevil

anyone interested in frogs??

Post by pinkdevil »

A few cute pics of Green Tree Frogs. These were taken last year when visiting my parents in QLD.

and this ugly one is a Cane Toad. They are an introduced species and are slowly taken over. Cane Toads as the name sugests, were brought to Australia around the early 1900s I think to help control cane beetles and mice in the cane fields. BUT as most introduced species do, they flurished, as there really isn't any pests or diseases to control them here , and are now competing for other amphibians.
The lumpy wart like skin on the back is what carries the venom. They are not dangerous to people, but some animals that eat them can become sick or die. So they don't have the predators like most animals. There is one bird that has found a unique way to have a feed of them when they have been killed, usually by cars, is the crow. They have worked out if they roll the toads on their back, they can safely have a meal from the underside stomach! :shock: Some birds will eat anything!!!

Some bright spark decided it would be a great money spinner to stuff and mount cane toads in various comical positions. So far quite a few have been sold. Thats just weird!! lol

Anyway here is the little trouble maker...
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

hehe i like frogs. my mam has a pond and theres always been frogs around. everyone thinks im gross cus if theres on in the road ill just pick it up lol :D

oh, and i watched a programme on telly about those cane toads. they were trying to stop them from spreading by catching them and killing them. my god there was millions!
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

We have lots of brown frog at the side of our fish pond! Especially during rain, once a small one dive into the pond and one of my tilapia is trying to eat it, it probably taste bad so it spit it out...still alive though. :shock:
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

my old dog used to try eat them when they jumped out of the pond in my mams garden. they secrete this stuff from their skin that tastes awful (i dont know that from personal experience lol), its part of a defense thing, i cant remember if the frog foams or if it was just my dogs mouth from the taste, but there was foam all over the garden whenever he tried lol

....he also tried to eat a hedgehog once... obviously it was prickly and he couldnt pick it up so he just pee'd on it instead and walked off :shock:
Bella

Post by Bella »

Some frogs secreate oil that would kill a dog :shock: or anything that tried to eat it i imagine
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

lol he was an idiot and tried to eat everything (even horse manure :? ) im surprised he didnt die from other stuff he used to eat... not just frogs.

iv just googled "tilapia fish".. are the ones u own massive GFT? iv never seen them before. looks like they should live in a lake!
Bella

Post by Bella »

ryelle wrote:lol he was an idiot and tried to eat everything (even horse manure :? ) im surprised he didnt die from other stuff he used to eat... not just frogs.

iv just googled "tilapia fish".. are the ones u own massive GFT? iv never seen them before. looks like they should live in a lake!

I caught my old dog licking a dead bird :shock:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
giantfoot_truck

They are about 2 foot long, its a nile tilapia, a popular food fish here in asia.

I have deep and wide enough pond so it should be okay for them, I also have lots of koi in the pond.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

wwoooaaahh thats a huge fish. i guess you like keeping fish as pets? iv always had fish either in my mams pond or a tank in the house. i dont have one now and its wierd :( id love a small tropical tank though, never had tropical... only goldfish and koi
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Bella wrote:I caught my old dog licking a dead bird :shock:

Perhaps your dog was trying to give the bird mouth to mouth

or maybe he was seeing if the bird was coated in "11 secret herbs & spices" :D

:)
Bella

Post by Bella »

pinkdevil wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww I love froggies, I wish I had some. My bfs a QLDer and he hates cane toads.

Giantfoot, you have an interesting bunch of animals.:D

pinkdevil wrote:

:lol: That killed me.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
giantfoot_truck

I love fishy!!! Its my first favourite animal, and the second is reptile. I started to have huge interest in bird after lovy's arrival, although my parents do have many pet birds before, but Im not too interested in them yet, until lovy showed up. :)
lovemybirds

Post by lovemybirds »

I love green frogs! They are just the cutest.

Here in Brisbane they used to have (may even still do it, I don't know) one night a year whre they would run a competition on destroying cane toads. It was done through one of the radio stations. They are certainly a pest! I could go outside any night of the week and fine a dozen or more of them in my own yard. YUK!