ringneck breeding

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Jaydedahl

ringneck breeding

Post by Jaydedahl »

Hi i got my female about a 2 months ago & she is 3 years old & i got my male about 3 weeks ago & they get along fine but she wont really let him near her without her going to bite him & same with food when ever i put fresh seed or fruit in their cage she has to go first or she will sqwark & basically say me first, is that normal.
& shes had a breeding box attached to the cage since i got her but the past week & a half ive noticed that shes been in there sratching around & kicking out the bark stuff i got in there & i noticed last night when i went to have a look in there she just stared At me & went to bite me when i put my hand in there.
Does that mean she is getting clucky cause im confussed as she wont let him near her for very long but yet shes finally gone into her nesting box
Dishy

Re: ringneck breeding

Post by Dishy »

Hey Jaydedahl,

I've had some of the same trouble when I first got my pair, they pecked each other quite a bit at first. My cage was split horizontally at first, as he was a baby, as he got older he would nip her feet thru the cage and she would aim and poo on him (was actually funny sometimes) i even had covers to stop it and she would destroy it to get to him. Eventually I let them sort it out. However, always use multiple bowls for food and separate them enough that they have a little space between each other, this should help remove food conflicts.

The scratching and digging in the nest box means she is wanting to lay. She may just need more time with him before they kanoodle though. Nesting can be a good sign of her feeling more comfortable there :ymapplause: Patience is always key :)
Jaydedahl

Post by Jaydedahl »

Thanks for your reply
I dont think they need to seperate them cause they are happy she doesnt actually hurt him just opens her beak at him to go away & i do have seperate food bowls but i think shes just use to being on her own as she was by herself for 3 years & my boy is 4 & has been an avairy bird his whole life
& im hearing her actually like talking to him more lately as well
Also ive had another bird before him that she just tried to kill so i know shes haplier with this boy
& also does he need to go in the nest with her or not
Jaydedahl

Post by Jaydedahl »

Would you be able to help my identify what sort of ringnecks i have & how much their worth cause i just got them from people who gave up on them for cheap
Attachments
My 4 year old boy
My 4 year old boy