My new IRNs! Any advice?

Moderator: Mods

BirdLady77

My new IRNs! Any advice?

Post by BirdLady77 »

Hi

Soon I will be going to pick up my four male IRNs, which I will be housing in a large indoor cage. They aren't tame but aren't flighty or anything like that either. They are already used to living with each other.

I just wanted to ask you all on here, if you have some extra tips or suggestions on what to do when I bring them home. (Yes I have already read the sticky re...bringing your birds home :lol: )...but just wondering if there's anything else I should have ready or do etc.

Also re quarantine....can their cage be in the same room as my other birds or should I have their cage as far away as possible from my other birds and keep them in the back room till quarantine is finished???

Cheers for any advice you may have!!
Kat
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Kat, congrats on your new birds, I too have new Rn's, just got 5 from a vet freind and one of his aviaries as well with two flights, plus one Barraband youngster. I am not experienced with birds at all except for having two budgies.

I am like you in that I need a few tips on housing and looking after my birds. So I am reading what I can on the net .

What will be your excercise regime for your 4 Rn's ? I have discovered this is the single most important factor for owning parrots and maintaining good health and well being.

My freind who is the vet says they love fruit especially the following:
Apples, mandarins, persimmons, grapefruit. Plus brocolli, sweetcorn on the cob and a weed we have growing here in New Zealand called Puha. Sorry I don't know what it would be in any other country. He recommends fruit every second day.
I have discovered they also love the rain, being largely rain forrest birds. So I rigged up a "shower by placing a hose over their aviary. Of course they loved it.

Paul.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

My birds love rain to :) Even in the middle of winter! :shock: :? I live near Bathurst NSW where it snows ans we get the cold winds from that. And they still want to bath in the rain in winter....go figure lol

:)
BirdLady77

Post by BirdLady77 »

Thanks for the tip about the rain Tasha...perhaps if we had fire sprinklers in our ceilings, I could occasionally set the smoke alarm off and give them a good shower :D :D :shock: heh...heh...

To Paul

Hi and congrats on your new IRNs aswell!!!
Re the excercise regime...well...I don't really have one as yet...because these birds aren't tame and they'll be indoor birds. I have a big cage for them. While they're in my quarantine room, I might be able to let them fly around in there coz it's a small room but once I bring them out into the main area of the house, I guess I'll have to keep them in the cage until they perhaps tame down a bit more (they're semi-tame...sort of)...I know wing clipping will help with that aswell. I'll see how I go...I'm getting thm this Friday :D :D VERY EXCITED!!!!!

Thanks all
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Ohhh only 2 more sleeps to go then Kat :D :D Kinda like Christmas :P

I am excited and I'm not the one getting them lol

:)
BirdLady77

Post by BirdLady77 »

LOL Tasha. Yep, Christmas is deffinatelly coming early for me!!! Can't wait!!!!!