First eggs. Have questions about care..

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Dishy

First eggs. Have questions about care..

Post by Dishy »

Female Zoey - 6 yo gray, just laid 2 eggs, I expect only one more. Shes first timer and untamed and not very social towards the male, not sure if she would do well taking care of eggs. Only just spotted this as I was showing my real estate agent the birds and noticed Zoey's rear end puckering very noticeably, knowing we had just disturbed her out of the nest box, I looked and saw two large eggs. Quickly shooed everyone away and covered them up.

What temperature do the eggs need to be for incubation? (if Zoey neglects them before hatching) And any other info needed for incubation? (I can build one easily - so don't need that info, just general care for the eggs info, ie turning, bedding) Also due to cold weather I am bringing cage indoors anyways.

What are some good veggies to feed her? I already make a mix of oats, weetbix, seeds, fruit/nuts, with some water. I have a scaly breasted Lorrie who has nectar based powder with calcium, would small amounts of this help or hurt? I have limited resources in the next two weeks, and want to provide extra nutrition for Zoey as male will definitely not help in this regard, as he's my little mama's boy.
He was hand reared from 3 weeks old by me, so I have experience in hand raising chicks, but are there any supplements or extra initial weeks care info I need to know?

Appreciate any advice given!

Cheers,

Dishy.
Dishy

Re: First eggs. Have questions about care..

Post by Dishy »

Eggs are infertile :'(