Please help with my new baby indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Chico

Please help with my new baby indian ringneck

Post by Chico »

Hi guys, I have a 4 months old indian ringneck for 11 days now. The breeder told me that he was hand fed from the age of 2 weeks and is hand tamed, when I went to buy the parrot at the breeder's house it was everything ok, he stayed to stroke him, on my finger and shoulder. The first 5 days he stayed in a hagen vision M01 cage which is small for him .... not very small but quiet small, after that i've got him a huge cage to have enough space.

Now at home he's a different parrot then at the breeder's house, he's very scared, doesen't even let me to get close to him, keep running from me, he's throwing away with the claws all the food from the feeder sometimes.

I'm worried and is the first time when i'm havin an IRN, I had a budgie for 3 years and that was it.
Is he going to be the same again ?

Please help me guys any advice is welcome.
rick_s0910

Re: Please help with my new baby indian ringneck

Post by rick_s0910 »

Sounds like he's going through a bluffing stage. First and foremost, if he doesn't want your hand in his cage, don't force yourself in there and expect to be welcomed. Let that be his little safe area. It might also be that he is a bit nervous because hes with a new person, in a new environment and the cage is much bigger. He will eventually adapt to it. What I would do is try to bribe him to come to you. Entice him with a small slice of an apple. Cut it into the shape of a french fry. Make sure that it has no seeds because they are toxic. You can also try it with some corn kernels. I buy whole corn and slice it. They like all sorts of peppers, carrots, broccoli and many other things. Don't give up on him though. The bluffing stage is normal, I have some ringnecks that had a bad case of it and some that never went through it. I have a couple that are cage aggressive but as soon as they get out of their cage they are really nice birds. Here's a link to other things you can feed him. I wish you luck and many years of happiness with your new companion!