Hand fed and 12 weeks old

Moderator: Mods

Stevienickole

Hand fed and 12 weeks old

Post by Stevienickole »

This past Saturday I drove to pick up my new baby Indian ringneck. He is 12 weeks old and hand raised. When I picked him up he was very friendly with his breeder.. Bobbi g his head and very comfortable around his hands. He seemed very confident and I was so happy about that! Of course upon arriving home, he was very scared as to be expected. I left him alone the first entire day. Yesterday I made a pallet by his cage and did some paperwork. He kept a close eye on me but after a while he seemed pretty comfortable.. I saw him eat, drink, and grind his beak and was on the verge of falling asleep. But he totally freaks if I even begin to open his cage. Today when I was changing his water and food he flipped out again. I was as slow as I could be and talked to him calmly but he got out. I was able to get him back in his cage. He didn't bite me but I could tell he wanted to. I know for a fact he was handled regularly, but now doesn't want anything to do with anyone.. I know it's only his 3rd day.. And every bird is different.. I just don't want him to digress :( does anyone have any advice on how to help me gain his trust? P.s we named him willow.
Sucre

Re: Hand fed and 12 weeks old

Post by Sucre »

Hello!

Unfortunately, with ringnecks, you may more or less have to force yourself on them. It's a crucial age for handling him, and it needs to be done daily. The longer you try to give him his space, the less tame he will become.

Is he / she eating well? Do you know if the breeder spoon or syringe fed them? Sometimes babies will regress when newly weaned. I think both of mine were closer to 4 months when they completely weaned, so that would be a concern for me. If spoon fed, you might try offering some fruit / veggie baby food - I wouldn't recommend syringe feeding to someone who has never done it before. This may help you bond.

Is he / she flying well yet? If so, you can always do a partial wing clip while trying to get him used to you. If you just do a partial, they will be able to safely glide to the ground, but won't be able to gain height. I wouldn't do it if he isn't flying yet, though.

I have two. One I took over hand feeding with when she was down to 3 feedings a day. She's a little mischievious but my bond with her is great. I got the other one right at 4 months, supposedly weaned, but he regressed a bit when I brought him home so I extended his hand feeding for awhile. He's more independent than the one I finished weaning, two totally different personalities. He was terrified of hands initially, but we've gotten past that by clipping his wings once he became good at flying.

They also "bluff" right after weaning, meaning they will act as if they are going to bite you, even lunge at you. Ignore that behavior and continue doing what you started to do and he will stop after a few weeks. If you show fear or jerk your hand back, you will probably get bitten. If you push your hand gently against their belly and ask them to step up, they are usually so shocked that they didn't scare you off that they will do what you way!

Mine are 8 and 7 months now, the little one can still be beaky and nippy at times, she's a work in progress. When she bites, I cup my hand and put it over her head and turn it into a game of peek a boo. She forgets all about biting.

It's a challenge, but don't give up, and don't miss an opportunity to bond with him / her, even when you don't feel like you are getting anywhere. They really can't be left alone and given their space like some birds can.
Sucre

Post by Sucre »

Hello!

Unfortunately, with ringnecks, you may more or less have to force yourself on them. It's a crucial age for handling him, and it needs to be done daily. The longer you try to give him his space, the less tame he will become.

Is he / she eating well? Do you know if the breeder spoon or syringe fed them? Sometimes babies will regress when newly weaned. I think both of mine were closer to 4 months when they completely weaned, so that would be a concern for me. If spoon fed, you might try offering some fruit / veggie baby food - I wouldn't recommend syringe feeding to someone who has never done it before. This may help you bond.

Is he / she flying well yet? If so, you can always do a partial wing clip while trying to get him used to you. If you just do a partial, they will be able to safely glide to the ground, but won't be able to gain height. I wouldn't do it if he isn't flying yet, though.

I have two. One I took over hand feeding with when she was down to 3 feedings a day. She's a little mischievious but my bond with her is great. I got the other one right at 4 months, supposedly weaned, but he regressed a bit when I brought him home so I extended his hand feeding for awhile. He's more independent than the one I finished weaning, two totally different personalities. He was terrified of hands initially, but we've gotten past that by clipping his wings once he became good at flying.

They also "bluff" right after weaning, meaning they will act as if they are going to bite you, even lunge at you. Ignore that behavior and continue doing what you started to do and he will stop after a few weeks. If you show fear or jerk your hand back, you will probably get bitten. If you push your hand gently against their belly and ask them to step up, they are usually so shocked that they didn't scare you off that they will do what you way!

Mine are 8 and 7 months now, the little one can still be beaky and nippy at times, she's a work in progress. When she bites, I cup my hand and put it over her head and turn it into a game of peek a boo. She forgets all about biting.

It's a challenge, but don't give up, and don't miss an opportunity to bond with him / her, even when you don't feel like you are getting anywhere. They really can't be left alone and given their space like some birds can.
Stevienickole

Post by Stevienickole »

Thank you so much for your feed back! His wings are clipped.. He still managed to get out when I had the door open while I was trying to attach some more toys to his cage. He screeched a few times and he def was uncomfortable. I have been taking him out everyday since.. He is still no so happy, but so much better than the first time I handled him. He but me one time.. Not to hard.. I didn't react and he hasn't done it since. Yay:) he is eating well, but I think he is still trying to figure out treats and fresh fruits/begs. It's funny you mention baby food on a spoon, because I have a 7 month old and as I fed her the other day he started making this calling sound! Maybe he was spoon fed? Anyways, like I said, thanks for your response.