Taming 2 IRNs

Moderator: Mods

sahil112

Taming 2 IRNs

Post by sahil112 »

Hi.

Amazing forum! Bbeen reading so much about IRNS and love them.

I just got 2 3-4 month baby IRNs about 4 days ago.

One was hand tamed but using a towel( scare it into a corner , it will jump onto a towel and then remove towel and it will walk on to your hand etc.)

Very bad way of taming but they are very healthy and very active birds with a huge cage so they are happy.

When I sit far away from them they start playing with each other (female and male) and the female goes to rub her beak against the males head etc and play chase. When I try to get close to them they suddenly run into a corner of the cage and hold themselves against the cage bars.

I want advice please on how I can start taming them? I do sit next to them everyday for half an hour and talk to them etc. But would love advice from anyone on here on the best actions to take to start to tame these 2 beauties!

Thanks guys :)
Wbrecosky

Re: Taming 2 IRNs

Post by Wbrecosky »

Try separating them for now to allow them to bond with you instead of eachother. More importantly never use a towel unless the bird bites (hard) and even then I wouldn't recomend doing this as it breaks what little trust they hold towards you and unless it was absolutely necessary to get the bird from one cage to another, trim their flight feathers or something along those lines it really shouldn't be necessary.
Back to taming your birds, like I said before if these birds are your pets and not a breeding pair I'd separate them for now and try to build a bond with each of these by trying to spend as much one on one time with the birds as possible at first work with them through their cages and try to offer them treats if they aren't ready for this try something else like just sitting infront of their cage for a few hours each day. It doesn't have to be all at once either you can space it out. Eventually they will learn to trust you through the wires and will take treats from your hands but remember to keep your hands steady and close enough to the bird so that it becomes used to seeing them. This helps get the bird used to not only you but seeing your hands at a close range comming towards them. After a while you could open their cage and let them out while your home to supervise them and let them see that you aren't a threat outside of the cage either but remember to try to keep as calm as possible around the birds this is the most important thing I can tell you especially durring their first few times being out of the cage. After they have been out for awhile try giving them treats and try to see if they will step up onto your finger for a treat most birds will at this point but they may still nip some you must still respect their space and allow them to have it if nothing else put them back in their cages and try again later. After you do this a few times and they are stepping up onto your finger I'd suggest allowing them to spend part of their day on your shoulder as my birds even the somewhat wild ones seem to feel safer and much more at home on my shoulder this helps build more trust between you and your bird as you may find it easy to preform many tasks and spend much more time with the bird while it conveniently rides on your shoulder eventually your bird will become very tame between the time you spend with them in your company and by coaxing them onto your hands for treats or even training them to step up for a reward. my newest bird (a conure this time) has quickly taken to each of these steps and now enjoys being scratched on his head and down his back and even let's me touch under his wings which was a big deal at first. If you remain calm and patient your birds will be tame in no time just remember they aren't a pet that like to be held at first you must earn that through trust.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I was about to suggest the same!, separation, because as with all pets, if you have a pair, they will cleave to each other. In one of my books, the author suggests towelling to acclimatize the bird to being handled, personally, I've only towelled once, when Sanjay escaped from his cage only a few days after I got him, and found himself in another room and unable to find his way back, I just don't believe in wing clipping, it's a personal dislike. Anyway, if you're not planning to breed, they will need separate accommodation anyway, especially if they are to be kept indoors. It takes time to tame a single IRN, and patience, so be prepared to invest plenty of it in two.
Sucre

Post by Sucre »

If you do clip their wings, just have a partial clip done. That way they can still glide to the ground but won't be able to gain any height and won't be able to fly as far. Just keep in mind that even though wings are clipped, all it takes is a strong breeze outside for them to catch flight and be gone. I am not a huge proponent of clipping, unless it is for training / taming or safety purposes. A bird that is afraid can easily fly into a wall and break its neck. Clipping does make them easier to tame, but you always want to make sure they master flight first.

I would steer away from the towel. Our vet uses a towel and we leave that to him, our birds hate the vet and I would be afraid they would associate us with him if we did that.

IRNs are not easy to keep tame, and it sounds like these weren't really hand raised, maybe just hand fed. There is a huge difference. It doesn't sound like the breeder spent enough time with them. Larger scale breeders usually don't. They have so many babies to hand feed that they just feed them quickly and put them back in their box. Ringnecks require a lot of hands on, daily, so you really don't have any time to waste.

I also agree on separating them to bond with them, the way they are behaving. If you don't have a second cage, get them out individually. It would be best if you had 2 cages for awhile, though.

They are young enough, you should be able to get things under control quickly. Ignore the bluffing, if they are doing that yet - it usually starts right after weaning. If they were spoon fed, you might try offering fruit / veggie baby food from a spoon, which will help your bond with them if they will take it.
Sucre

Post by Sucre »

If you do clip their wings, just have a partial clip done. That way they can still glide to the ground but won't be able to gain any height and won't be able to fly as far. Just keep in mind that even though wings are clipped, all it takes is a strong breeze outside for them to catch flight and be gone. I am not a huge proponent of clipping, unless it is for training / taming or safety purposes. A bird that is afraid can easily fly into a wall and break its neck. Clipping does make them easier to tame, but you always want to make sure they master flight first.

I would steer away from the towel. Our vet uses a towel and we leave that to him, our birds hate the vet and I would be afraid they would associate us with him if we did that.

IRNs are not easy to keep tame, and it sounds like these weren't really hand raised, maybe just hand fed. There is a huge difference. It doesn't sound like the breeder spent enough time with them. Larger scale breeders usually don't. They have so many babies to hand feed that they just feed them quickly and put them back in their box. Ringnecks require a lot of hands on, daily, so you really don't have any time to waste.

I also agree on separating them to bond with them, the way they are behaving. If you don't have a second cage, get them out individually. It would be best if you had 2 cages for awhile, though.

They are young enough, you should be able to get things under control quickly. Ignore the bluffing, if they are doing that yet - it usually starts right after weaning. If they were spoon fed, you might try offering fruit / veggie baby food from a spoon, which will help your bond with them if they will take it.